mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mechanical Disks

I know Avid is pretty much the best thing going in mechanical disks.

Is there anything new out this year that I should look for?
    Any other good mechanical disks?
    Any thing else I should know about buying mouting mechanical disks?

Thanks

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't speak from personal experience about Avids, but I have not heard one bad thing about them.

I have used the Hayes HMX-1, and wasn't very happy with them... At all... They worked great at first, but then when I went to adjust the caliper, I noticed that both the front and rear adjustment knobs had seized... I could not get them to budge. The same thing happened with my buddy's set. I was stuck shortening the cable, which worked, but it was a pain in the ass, and didn't help the modulation....

Long story short, if you are going to get mechanicals, get the Avids. There may be some new mech's out there, but why gamble with something new when there is already something that we know works great?

Thats just my 2 cents.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

If you get Avids

Avid mechs work great, the only possible weak point in the system is the rear brake cable and routing. I noticed the Avids seem to have a lighter return spring than v-brakes, therefore a sticky cable or bad routing (tight bends) is noticible with a sluggish feel.

I've gone to Jagwires Macs and kept the routing to the rear as straight as possible. This improved the feel of the rear, but still not as snappy as hydaulics or a well tuned v-brake. However, the stopping power and lack of fade make up for it.

Avid's in themselves are awesome brakes at a great price, wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Return Spring

I noticed the Avids seem to have a lighter return spring than v-brakes, therefore a sticky cable or bad routing (tight bends) is noticible with a sluggish feel.

The spring has adjustable tension; just tighten it up a bit and your problems solved. Check your manual, I don't have my bike here so I can't describe exactly where the screw is.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Cable routing

Just like Htail and Travis Bickle (great handle!) mentioned the light return spring in the Avids can result in sluggish and/or incomplete return of the lever. I crank the return spring tension all the way up from the get-go and that helps, but is still insufficent IMHO. Routing is very important and I recommend running full housing whenever possible, or at least housing all the way down the seatstay since lots of mud and grime are likely to muck up the cable there. Full housing on the front is almost mandatory to maintain good level feel and return.