mtbr member
    May 2007

Mechanical discs on new Dos Niner Salsa suck!

Ok, so my girlfriend picked up a Salsa last night on a whim, and we took it out for a spin. We both rode it. I really liked the bigger wheels' ability to roll right over smaller obstacles easily. But the brakes stink. They're mechanical discs, Avid brand. I"m not sure the model, since I'm at work now. We have hydraulic brakes on our other bikes (new Specy Stumpy FSR for me {Juicy 7, I think}, and a Safire for her {Juicy 9?}).

The mechanical brakes seem to have very little stopping power, even when really squeezing the heck out of the levers. I'm afraid we'll kill ourselves on any serious downhill. Will these "break in" or is there some sort of adjustments I can make? Or, are we just spoiled with our other brakes?

Just like your other brakes, they need to bed in. Try getting up to speed, a long smooth downhill works great, and come to a smooth stop several times, that should get you much better performance. You might want to read the disc brake FAQ in the upper right corner...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I read the FAQ, thanks for the heads-up.

We only had time for 6 miles last night. About half of that is downhill. Some are pretty steep (and a little hairy with no braking power). How many miles does the brake-in (pun)period take?

Mine (BBDBs or BB7s, can't speak for the BB5 as that's a completely different brake) have always bedded in fairly quickly, something I specifically do as a first step after install or with new rotors/pads. I'd think from your description you have put enough distance in, so you might also want to check the setup of the brake lever and pad adjustments and if that doesn't improve things I'd look to contaminated pads/rotors. Which brake model is it?

Check out the comments in this thread, too BB7's. Are they as good as some Hydro Brakes?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The brakes are BB7s. We rode 5 miles last night, all singletrack. My fiance rode the bike, and we had a newbie with us, so we really didn't bomb the downhills. She said it felt better, but maybe since we weren't going that fast, it just seemed to stop better. We'll probably ride Fri, Sat, and Sun. If the brakes don't seem better, we'll get back to the shop and see if they can do anything. I see there are lots of threads on the BB7s (I just looked at them last night, so I didn't know which model brakes). I'll have to read up, and see if there is anything I can do before that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would invite you to use the search function. You should find all the desired information that helps you to get the best out of your BB7s. When everything is new you have to bed them in at first to get real braking power (I recommend many very strong brakings along a tarmac downhill).