mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mechanical Discs: Full length housing?

Just picked up a Vassago Jabberwocky and am going to install Avid BB7's on it. I either need to zip tie, use an adapter, or drill out the tabs to run full length housing for my rear. Is it worth it? Or should I just run it normal with two housings and bare cable in between? Thanks....

mtbr member
    it's worth it.

your mechs will feel much better with full housing. Besides staying cleaner w/ full length, each cut in the cable housing adds friction points.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Full length + zip ties = happiness
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Team Blindspot
    Another upgrade that made a marked improve in brake feel was Avid Ultimate brake levers.

I'd been using SD-7's for quite a while, found a deal on the Ultimate's at Greenfish, and they make quite a big difference in braking perfomance and feel.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Music & Bikes
    Full lenght housing is a lot better on hydros too........

"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Full length housing is the way to go... don't worry about the zip ties

neutiquam erro
    It's most definitely worth it!

Dremeling out cable guides isn't as painful as it sounds, but if you don't want to do that much modification to your bike, then there are lots of other options.

Mucho discussion on various options on the boards here - search and ye shall find.

Cheers, Chris

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Another upgrade that made a marked improve in brake feel was Avid Ultimate brake levers.

I'd been using SD-7's for quite a while, found a deal on the Ultimate's at Greenfish, and they make quite a big difference in braking perfomance and feel.
    Less flex than the SD-7's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

going agianst the grain

Although everyone seems to say go for the full length, I think I am going to run it with traditional cable stops. I had my V's run that way and seemed to have no problem as long as I kept things clean and changed out cables and housings once a year or so. If I have troubles then I'll do full length, but I think I'll opt for the cleaner look first and then change if I need to. Michigan cross country rarely even needs anything beyond v-brakes anyway....

Thanks for all the advice... even though I didn't use it

mtbr member
    You'll have to use full length on the front.

I have a disc only custom bike and I had it buildt for Hydro only. When I ran mechanical discs I had to fix the housing to the cable stops with zap straps. I found I had to be very carefull not to make the strap too tight or it would bind the cable inside the housing. The return spring on the caliper is not very strong is if there's drag on the cable you won't like the feel of the brake.

As long as you flare out where you cut the housing (I use an awl) before capping it there will be no extra drag at the cuts. There are still plastic clips floating around that fit in the cable stops and run the hose alongside in a secondary clip.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Housing.... what is the difference in Der housing and brake housing. The LBS has both, but the der housing is double the cost. They look the same, but what would be the drawback of using the brake housing for my ders and save the differnce?
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    In brake housing, the strands are wound in a spiral. In der housing they are more or less parallel. The idea is that der housing isn't compressible, so shifting remains accurate no matter what the tension on the cable, and also that the length of the cable doesn't change appreciably when the cable is bent.

You'd have to experiment but the things to watch out for would be shifting inaccuracies either when the cable tension is high or when the flexion of the cable changed (eg when the handlbars are turned).
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Thanks...that makes sense.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!