mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here. Mechanical disc brakes making rubbing noise on my brand new giant revel one

I have tektro i.o mechanical disc brakes that are making a rubbing noise no matter how much I adjust the the wheels. just looking out for any pointers since I am fairly new to riding and I dont wanna be doing anything wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Loosen the stack bolts that hold the caliper to the fork/mount, turn the adjuster on the inboard pad in a few turns with a 5mm hex key (you may/will need to loosen the locking screw, 2mm, on the top of the caliper above it) enough so you have a very small, ~1mm, gap between the outboard pad and the rotor, then pull the lever. The caliper should approximately center itself over the rotor. Snug up the stack bolts on the caliper. At this point, you may wish to drop a spot of oil between the bolt heads and the washer. Still grabbing at handful of brake lever, alternate tightening the bolts until they are good and tight (or to between 6-8NM, roughly). Back the adjuster out just until the brake does not rub (you will need to grab the lever after backing it out to seat the pad). This adjuster should be as close to the rotor as possible without rubbing. Tighten the locking screw.

Use the adjuster barrel to set the outboard pad to approximately twice that distance, or until the rotor does not rub. This should set your brakes to be sufficient to stop you, at their best possible performance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    also, check to see if the rotors are warped at all. Since only the outboard pad moves, the rotors can get warped if there is a lot of space between the rotor and inboard pad. Follow, wschruba's instructions. If it solves the problem, then don't read any more. If not, read on.

Spin the wheel and make sure you can watch the rotor move through the caliper and see if it wobbles at all during rotation. If so, you can use a rotor straightening wrench to gently remove the warp. If you don't have a rotor wrench, then you can use a clean (very important!) adjustable wrench to gently do this. It doesn't take much force so work slowly and thin recheck by spinning the wheel. Be sure to clean your rotors with isopropyl alcohol when you're done.

Sadly, tektro's take a bit to get adjusted. If you can't get it fixed, then just take a break as it can be stressful working on tektro brakes.