mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Mechanical Disc Brake Questions... Little introductory, bare with me :)

Yesterday I picked up a Trek 3700 Disc... I know it is considered to be an entry level mountain bike, but to me it is certainly a step up from the ones you buy at big retailers that are $200 pieces of junk . I had contacted my local dealer at first about a 3500 disc, but after I mentioned I'd consider going a little more expensive and taking advantage of a Trek sale, he said you'll certainly appreciate the step-up components found in the 3700, the highest of their entry line of mountain bikes.

Anyway - this is my first time riding a bike with disc brakes. I think I expected them to bite a little bit more, but I'm wondering if that can be remedied because I feel like it can. The brake levers right now both have a fair amount of travel in them before they start to really clamp down on the rotors. I found a video online and I'm going to test my brake levers to see if they're falling around that two finger guideline (is that good?)

These are the brakes the bike has: TEKTRO BRAKE SYSTEMS

I definitely appreciate any feedback, I searched around and maybe it is too generic of a question to find an easily found answer quickly.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You need to bed in the brake pads... lots of examples on how to do this, like this one at Workshop: How To Bed In Disc Brake Pads - BikeRadar
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter View Post
    You need to bed in the brake pads... lots of examples on how to do this, like this one at Workshop: How To Bed In Disc Brake Pads - BikeRadar
    Just what I was looking for... Thanks man!
    Piggie Powered Stage 3 B5 S4 | Flickr | Videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You probably need to adjust how close the pads are to the rotors. I wouldn't count on the bike shop to have adjusted them properly.

According to the manual, there needs to be 0.3mm (approx.) clearance between both pads and the rotor - i.e. very very close, but not so close that they rub the rotor. There is a bolt to adjust the stationary (hub side) pad, and you adjust the other pad with the cable adjustment barrel. You'll need to adjust the pad clearance periodically as the pads wear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ^ Alright cool, thanks for the tip. I saw the allen head adjustment, I figured that was adjusting the pad in/out.

I noticed when putting the front wheel on you have to be very careful with making sure the wheel spins freely without touching the pad since the clearance is so tight, if it's not perfectly straight it favors one side and rubs. All part of the fun though!
    Piggie Powered Stage 3 B5 S4 | Flickr | Videos