mtbr member
    Aug 2012

mechanical brake pad change, frustration

brake pads needed to be changed on my tektro novela brakes. Figured it would be easy enough and after all the adjustments in the world (and even getting a new rear rotor that was bent), the rotors are rubbing on the inside brake pad.

Anyone know what bike shops usually charge to get these adjusted? Starting to wonder if my frame is bent slightly cause when I try adjustments on the back, the pads don't lay flat against the rotor. They either touch only at the top or bottom.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Usually it's about $10-15. If you're nice to your mechanic, he'll probably tell you the specifics of the problem or maybe even let you watch. Hopefully there's nothing more than adjustment needed, but that'd be hard to diagnose over the tubes.
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks. I will find out tomorrow. If its something major, Ill have to decide whether I wanna buy a frame and move stuff over or buy a whole new bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the tabs are not properly aligned a shop may use this Park Tool Co. Disc Brake Mount Facing (IS type) with DT-1

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    took the bike in this morning to my LBS and took them no longer than 20 min and the bike ran like new. Best $16 I ever spent. Took it to the normal trail I ride all the time and it was crazy how much easier it was.

Not sure what I did wrong but I sure don't know how to adjust brakes very well.....