mtbr member

Mechanical 8" front disc, Levers ???

I've been told that a nice quality 8" front disc is generally just about as powerful as a 6" front hydraulic disc brake. I guess i just like the lack of extra screwing around that plagued me with hyd. discs.

I was just wondering, which company (hayes or avid) makes a nicer more powerful 8" front mechanical disc brake?

Also, i have one more quick question. Do any V-brake levers work with mechanical discs?

I have some awesome MachineTech levers i'd like to use with them, and just would like to know before hand if i need to get new levers, because the Zero-Flex levers are the best V-brake levers i've ever ridden.

If you could answer that, and if you could, recommend any other high end v-brake levers (besides avid ultimate and the machinetechs) Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomFeeder
    I've been told that a nice quality 8" front disc is generally just about as powerful as a 6" front hydraulic disc brake. I guess i just like the lack of extra screwing around that plagued me with hyd. discs.

I was just wondering, which company (hayes or avid) makes a nicer more powerful 8" front mechanical disc brake?

Also, i have one more quick question. Do any V-brake levers work with mechanical discs?

I have some awesome MachineTech levers i'd like to use with them, and just would like to know before hand if i need to get new levers, because the Zero-Flex levers are the best V-brake levers i've ever ridden.

If you could answer that, and if you could, recommend any other high end v-brake levers (besides avid ultimate and the machinetechs) Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it!

The only difference between a 8" system and the 6" system are rotor size and the adaptors. So it really boils down to which mech system is better, Avid or Hayes. Avid wins that argument hands down.

I am a die hard hydraulic guy, but if I had to use a set of mech Avids would be the ones.

Yes, any V-brake levers will work with mechanical brakes.

I assume that you have a front wheel/hub that is disc compatible? if not you will need that as well....

mtbr member
    yeah, i got all the other bases covered for my bike im building up. I would think 8" rotors have more stopping power since, well the rotor is bigger, and easier to stop moving.

Any recommendations on levers?

Thanks for the info!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I do not want to start the cable vs hydro power debate again.

A well setup Avid BB7 and 160 mm rotor has PLENTY of power and is comparable to a good hydro w/160 mm. 203 mm rotors are not needed to give the Avid usable power

Personally, I use 185 mm rotors.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Are the Avid BB7s made in 203 and 185mm versions without any extra adapters, or are the adapters cheap? Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Are the Avid BB7s made in 203 and 185mm versions without any extra adapters, or are the adapters cheap? Thanks a lot!

adapters are cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I do not want to start the cable vs hydro power debate again.

A well setup Avid BB7 and 160 mm rotor has PLENTY of power and is comparable to a good hydro w/160 mm. 203 mm rotors are not needed to give the Avid usable power

Personally, I use 185 mm rotors.

Everyone knows Hydros are better, and so are riser bars. Duh.

You can buy sets with any of the three rotor sizes.

The calipers are all the same. Different mounting brackets are used for front or rear AND each rotor size. The bracket is not used on Manitou forks with a 160 mm rotor. A mount must be bought separately to use 185 or 203 mm rotors on Manitous. There is also a different mount for 203 mm rotors and 20 mm through axle forks.
    And they are not expensive.
    Did I confuse you yet?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    sweet, no im not too confused. I just wanted to make sure its possible to get a nice mechanical, thats comparable to a 6" hyrdaulic in power, and its possible with adapters to work with a front 20mm thru axle. Thanks a lot for all your help!

sweet, no im not too confused. I just wanted to make sure its possible to get a nice mechanical, thats comparable to a 6" hyrdaulic in power, and its possible with adapters to work with a front 20mm thru axle. Thanks a lot for all your help!
    Entirely possible.
    mtbtires.com

A wheelist
    Entirely possible.
    Shiggy, BottomFeeder's a fairly new fellow around here so you should be careful and not risk freakin' the poor fella out with pics of your bike. Not everyone's as immune as us regulars. Just don't show him the checkerboard armwarmers and polkadot rims ok?

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Shiggy, BottomFeeder's a fairly new fellow around here so you should be careful and not risk freakin' the poor fella out with pics of your bike. Not everyone's as immune as us regulars. Just don't show him the checkerboard armwarmers and polkadot rims ok?

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    OK. How 'bout these?
    mtbtires.com

A wheelist
    OK. How 'bout these?
    Arrgghh, ya just fried me retinas.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    You can strong braking out of a 6" Avid setup. Proper setup is key. I have ridden a 7" Magura Louise FR setup (hydraulic) and don't feel like my 6" Avid mechs lack anything. For me, it's just a different lever feel action.

And speaking of levers, you can use any levers for an 8" mech setup that would normally be fine for a 6" setup. The best buy out there are Avid SD7 levers, they are on sale all over the web right for around $30 a pair.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot! I'm going to get some really sweet levers, just not sure which of these im going to get. Thinking some Paul love levers, MachineTech Zero-Flex, Tektro Carbon levers, or those avids. Thanks again for all the info!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 6" hydros I have had for the past five years (Hayes and Magura Louise) were not in the same league with my 205 (8") Avids in my current setup. At 270#, I was able to find the limits of the 6" hydros. I have yet to do so with the 205 Avids front and rear.

If you are average size and ride average hills, the 185 front and 160 rear should be all you need.

If your size and/or descents are more extreme, the 205 front and 185 rear should be a well balanced system and give you all you the power require (and then some).

I have the Avid SD7 Ti (non-Ultimate) levers and like them a lot for this application. Found them on sale for $39/pair.

That being said, I do feel strongly that a quality installation is mandatory as I have seen plenty of examples of poor installations of Avid mechanical disc brake systems on new bikes on showroom floors that result in very mushy feel at the levers and can see where this bad rap may have come from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks a lot! I'm going to get some really sweet levers, just not sure which of these im going to get. Thinking some Paul love levers, MachineTech Zero-Flex, Tektro Carbon levers, or those avids. Thanks again for all the info!
    I'd completely recommend you look into levers that have continuous ratio adjustments on them like the avid SDs (speed dial). They allow you to change the amount of modulation vs power (basically like the El Camino does for hydros).

Most levers only have two settings (one with less pull/more power/less modulation for cantis and one with more pull/less power/more modulation for Vs).

I railed it like Kong
    OK. How 'bout these?
    For those of us not in the know- what's the deal with the drop bars?
    Explain in detail if you would.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by rkonindustry
    For those of us not in the know- what's the deal with the drop bars?
    Explain in detail if you would.
    I have explained. Many times. Please do a search.
    Short version: they work better.
    mtbtires.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinjocky
    I'd completely recommend you look into levers that have continuous ratio adjustments on them like the avid SDs (speed dial). They allow you to change the amount of modulation vs power (basically like the El Camino does for hydros).

Most levers only have two settings (one with less pull/more power/less modulation for cantis and one with more pull/less power/more modulation for Vs).
    Agreed. I'm using the old XTR's for this reason. My Avid BB brakes were actualy too strong at one point and being able to adjust the leverage/pull was just the ticket.