mtbr member

Mech. Brakes - Cable/Housing Issue

I have Avid BB7s on my FS bike. In the last few weeks, whenever I use most of my rear travel, especially landing, the rear triangle is pushing the housing and cable back toward the front of the bike and the end of the housing is coming out of the female receiver on the brake and then often it hangs up rather than going back in...this has nearly caused me big problems more than once...this weekend, I was landing on a section of trail that is lose shale. When the cable hangs up like that, it engages the brake to the point where the rear tire breaks loose and I basically had to bail as I was skidding off of the trail.

Any suggestions or opinions? Is this an inherent problem with mech. brakes?? What's strange about it is that it just started in the last 2-3 weeks. I've looked over all the housing and everything looks good, so I can't figure out why this just started happening...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Use a cable tie to strap the housing tight to the frame, then it shouldn't pop out of the cable stop.

bi-winning
    zip ties.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    There are cable ties on there, though I guess they must have loosened up over time b/c what you are saying makes sense.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    I have Avid BB7s on my FS bike. In the last few weeks, whenever I use most of my rear travel, especially landing, the rear triangle is pushing the housing and cable back toward the front of the bike and the end of the housing is coming out of the female receiver on the brake and then often it hangs up rather than going back in...this has nearly caused me big problems more than once...this weekend, I was landing on a section of trail that is lose shale. When the cable hangs up like that, it engages the brake to the point where the rear tire breaks loose and I basically had to bail as I was skidding off of the trail.

Any suggestions or opinions? Is this an inherent problem with mech. brakes?? What's strange about it is that it just started in the last 2-3 weeks. I've looked over all the housing and everything looks good, so I can't figure out why this just started happening...

Thanks.

Try shortening your housing in that area. If the housing is too long it may cause it to bend so much that the ferrule catches in the cable hanger/boss when it straightens out.