mtbr member

Mech brake/rotor issue, need advise.

Bike:
    '12 Trek Marlin 29er
    Alex dp20 wheelset with slx hubs
    Avid BB7 brakes with ashimu 180mm rotors
    Forks RS XC32 tk
    Crankset : m590 24/32 2x10

Here's the problem. No issues at all prior to switch tires from karma1.9s to karma 2.2 today. Big ring front and in 7-8 + rear riding at normal pace flat ground pavement my front rotor stars rubbing on the pads. Doesn't happen till I'm in that gear range on up and I'm just going straight. Lower speeds while turning or anything there is no rub. Nothing till I get up into faster speeds, don't even have to be pedaling. It's like my hub starts to float on the axle and move around. Wheels are brand new, maybe 30miles on them. No issues till i changed that front tire this morning...

Any ideas wheel isn't loose on axle or anything I cam tell checked caliper bolts as well...so lost atm on this.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    That's very strange. Is the rubbing on the inside or outside of the caliper?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wheel & tire balance. Bigger tires tend to have a bit more of a wobble and/or uneven weight distribution on them. At higher speeds the wheel & tire will start to shimmy and that can flex the wheel & fork just enough for the disc brake to scrub. This is an issue I had on one of my bikes, it didn't go away until I got a new & significantly stiffer fork.

mtbr member

Re: Mech brake/rotor issue, need advise.

Ah ok well then ill just balance them then. Gotta be hellva wobble cause lower speed with me being a clyde I can't make them scrub while flexing under turning or simply leaning the bike over, that was the part that had me stumped. Never thought that could be an issue, thnx.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    you hub bearings are loose... get some cone wrenches and tighten or take to a shop.

it's the #1 reason I dislike Shimano hubs is their setup of the cup and cone system. I've had MANY hubs that the lock nut just starts spinning with the cone and when you drop it into the drop outs on the bike it'll spin causing the hub to be too tight or too loose. If you do happen to get them set they are about the best rolling but it can be a crap shoot.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/