mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Me or my brakes?

I switched from V's to Avid 160's about 6 mo. ago. I mainly rode fast fire roads and usually had to replace my front V brake pads 2x before I did the rears. I have seen been riding a lot of steep single track. I checked my brakes last night and found my rears were paper thin and the rotor looks like it has been getting hot, fronts still had 50%. I am pretty sure I have been using the rear brake more often to ward off endo's. Do I need to use the front more? go to possibly 7" brakes ? I do get a liitle fade @ the end of the runs. Thanx

banned
    Jan 2004

I find many people ride their brakes with too much fear and worry...

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I switched from V's to Avid 160's about 6 mo. ago. I mainly rode fast fire roads and usually had to replace my front V brake pads 2x before I did the rears. I have seen been riding a lot of steep single track. I checked my brakes last night and found my rears were paper thin and the rotor looks like it has been getting hot, fronts still had 50%. I am pretty sure I have been using the rear brake more often to ward off endo's. Do I need to use the front more? go to possibly 7" brakes ? I do get a liitle fade @ the end of the runs. Thanx
    ...either about using them too much, or about using the front, as you said. As long as you brake before the apex of your turns, and avoid heavy use of the front, esp on steep tech sections with ostacles to steer around and off camber sections etc., you'll be OK. As your front brake provides most of the stopping power, avoiding use of it too much certainly can cause the rear to overheat and wear prematurely.