mtbr member

Me Julies don't like the cold!

Has anybody else had a problem with Magura Julie brakes when the temperature drops to near 0celsius (I know, not that cold!)?

Last winter I eventually gave up on my rear brake as it was constantly sticking on when it got cold, I did all of the usual freeing sticky piston techniques, but eventually gave up and bought an Oro K18 replacement, as I was sick of stripping the thing every weekend.

Now my front brake is at it. When the temperature is nice for riding the disk runs free and true, but when it drops I'm riding with the brake on for the first mile until it warms up (Good training I suppose). Is it because they are mineral oil based and it's just getting old and needs replacing?

Cheers for any thoughts or sympathy.

mtbr member
    Yes.

Julies are price pointed to compete with mechs, so they have to cut cost somewhere. The seals are not spec'ed that well.

I have been able to get at best, one winter out of the seals, then they start sticking in cold weather. I called up Magura (USA) and they replaced the caliper. Another winter later, it happened again, and after another call to Magura, they again replaced the caliper. I stopped using the Julies in the winter, their Louise calipers have been fine (for 5 winters now!)

The Julies work fine in the summer, and I figured that's just the way they are. Magura CS has always been good, but no point bugging them every year when there are better calipers for the winter.