mtbr member
    Feb 2004

MCMs,I need some answers/tips,HS33 related

Just bought my 7yr son a new bike
    Its a 13" al. frame w. 24" wheels like the pic but with a 7sp Nexus internalgear rearhub and no coasterbrake and a nice matt violet grey color.
    Got a set of 2001 HS33 for less than 30usd that Ill put on it instead of the crap Vs that came stock.
    He had a HS33 on the front of his last bike. HS33s are great for kids as they require much less fingerpressure than the usually crap brakes that usually comes on kids biks.And they are maint.free with good reachadjust , so the little fingers can reach the levers safely!!

Anyway , has anybody tried putting royalblood in HS33s instead of the old green stuff ? Would it make make a diff. in the "fingerpower" required to operate the brakes.
    The rear requires more "fingerpower" than the front , guess its because there more oil to push ,the line being longer.

The brakes have not been used for more than 2yrs , so Ill try to "massage" the slavepistons really good with some blood , but is there any thing else I can do ?
    Any other tips for reduceing "fingerpower ??
    Txs Cheers

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by caspar
    He had a HS33 on the front of his last bike. HS33s are great for kids as they require much less fingerpressure than the usually crap brakes that usually comes on kids biks.And they are maint.free with good reachadjust , so the little fingers can reach the levers safely!!

Anyway , has anybody tried putting royalblood in HS33s instead of the old green stuff ? Would it make make a diff. in the "fingerpower" required to operate the brakes.
    The rear requires more "fingerpower" than the front , guess its because there more oil to push ,the line being longer.
    The Royal Blood is unlikely to do anything to significantly reduce the amount of internal friction from the brakes. It's supposed to be a bit more temperature stable than the old stuff though. You hit most of the commonly used tricks. I have the stainless steel lines on my brake which have a slightly larger I.D. than the plastic. It seems to have helped marginally. Apply some lube to the seal around the slave piston and work it.

A less commonly used trick (used by very many trials riders) is to bleed the brake with distilled water. There are obviously drawbacks to this, but it does significantly decrease the pressure required to get the pad to the rim.

Drawbacks include:
    Cold weather reliability
    lack of seal lubrication
    you have to flush the system VERY well or the oil and water will emulsify.

Good luck.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup that is what I was going to suggest. A buddy of mine put distilled in his hs33s on his zoo. Butta smooth!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    The Royal Blood is unlikely to do anything to significantly reduce the amount of internal friction from the brakes. It's supposed to be a bit more temperature stable than the old stuff though. You hit most of the commonly used tricks. I have the stainless steel lines on my brake which have a slightly larger I.D. than the plastic. It seems to have helped marginally. Apply some lube to the seal around the slave piston and work it.

A less commonly used trick (used by very many trials riders) is to bleed the brake with distilled water. There are obviously drawbacks to this, but it does significantly decrease the pressure required to get the pad to the rim.

Drawbacks include:
    Cold weather reliability
    lack of seal lubrication
    you have to flush the system VERY well or the oil and water will emulsify.

Good luck.
    Actually it does make some difference, I put the new blood in my daughters 33's and they do "snap" better. Water is fine for trials riders, even tried it myself and worked in a emergency. But it does not lube the pistons at all, and any mud that gets past the seals will just wreck the system, since the oil is thicker than water it does help the seals to keep junk out of there. I would lube the pistons up really well with tri flow (take the pads out first), bleed the system out with new blood and you should be just fine.
    Pat T.