Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I Have Cookies

Massive Warrantys On Avid Juicy/Elixir Brakes

On Behalf of My Friend Chris Seymour at http://www.hilobikehub.com/ I'm Posting this thread. Right now he's got 3 Avid Equipped bikes in for warranty work. We wanted to find out if anyone else in the LBS's is having massive issues warranty wise? BTW we are located in Hilo Hawaii if that matters.They have been doing at least 4 a month lately.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

T.W.O.
    What's the problem beside the usual Avid noise.

I Have Cookies
    The Calipers Lock up, Needs Constant Bleeding. New, Old most have the same problem. My Prophet has had 2 sets of brakes on it.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

T.W.O.
    I have altogether 5 set of Avids 4 J7 and carbon, and one elixir Cr other than annoying noise there's no issue so far. Thank god.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I work at LBS in South Florida. Haven't had any warranty claims on avid.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking
    I work at LBS in South Florida. Haven't had any warranty claims on avid.
    Any other regions out there experiencing problems?

____
    Kimo

T.W.O.
    I hope not. I doubt it too Juicy series has been around for a long time and elixir is not a new platform either if there's a massive defect we would know about it already.

I Have Cookies
    It might be the 90+% humidity we have here on Hawaii island.... The levers just get tighter and tighter then you get constant rubbing on the rotors, if you leave it you get complete lock up! We are under the assumption that the dot fluid absorbs moisture out of the air. It's a constant battle! Most guys and gals have abandoned their avids for Magura set ups, but alot of us can't afford to go that route

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've had constant issues with the Juicy 3s on my wifes bike, which don't get much use. When I last lokked at the bike the brakes were completely looked up. I've also had constant leakage issues from the plastic reservoir caps.

My Elixirs seemed to lose performace quickly from new. I haven't tried rebleeding yet, but will do. The paint on them is also bubling and flaking off, so I'm not too happy with them.

I'm in Brisbane. As you may know, we've had a lot of rain and humidity here this summer.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have seven sets of Avid Brakes. I have one set of Code R's. Three sets of Code 5's. One set of Elixir R's and a set of Elixir CR's. One set of Avid BB7's.

Aside from squealing/vibration I haven't had any issues with my brakes. However I do live in Southern California, a comparatively dry climate compared to Hawaii and Brisbane.

Master of Disaster
    Eh? Who'd have thought that Avid brakes would have a high warranty rate?

The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD (689 posts)
    The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Rub it............
    I work in a LBS in Delaware that services Delaware, Southern New Jersey, Northeastern Maryland, Southeastern PA. However, within a 20 mile radius, there are 10 bike shops. So I can only speak for myself.

Only had 2 Juicy warranty issues in the past 3 years. And I'm currently running Juicy 7's without issue.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Only had 2 Juicy warranty issues in the past 3 years. And I'm currently running Juicy 7's without issue.
    That's not quite the same as saying that noise/vibration is rare with Avid brakes. Whenever I hear Turkey-gobble from a bike on the trail, I look to see and each time it's always been Avid hydro brakes making the noise. Not to say that there aren't large numbers of Avid-equipped bikes that don't make any embarrassing noises. Just saying...
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    It might be the 90+% humidity we have here on Hawaii island.... The levers just get tighter and tighter then you get constant rubbing on the rotors, if you leave it you get complete lock up! We are under the assumption that the dot fluid absorbs moisture out of the air. It's a constant battle! Most guys and gals have abandoned their avids for Magura set ups, but alot of us can't afford to go that route

If guys in South Florida aren't having the same problems (like the dude from the other LBS), then I would say it isn't the humidity. It's generally above 90% down there too.
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    That's not quite the same as saying that noise/vibration is rare with Avid brakes. Whenever I hear Turkey-gobble from a bike on the trail, I look to see and each time it's always been Avid hydro brakes making the noise. Not to say that there aren't large numbers of Avid-equipped bikes that don't make any embarrassing noises. Just saying...

If you read the OP's 2nd post - Post #3 - he mentions nothing about noise/vibration issues in which we all know depends on the bike frame/brake/wheel combo. He states calipers lock up, having to bleed numerous times, ect.

Just saying.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Edit: I would like to retract the first sentence of my post as the OP is obviously clueless and not a representative of the bike shop in question and is probably misrepresenting the statements made by his "friend".

****** **** **** ****** ** ******** *** ********* ** **** ** ********* ******.

If the brake came with a bad bleed from the factory is should need to be bled one time. If the problem comes back within a short time then obviously bleeding again is not going to fix it.
    Last edited by HungarianBarbarian; 04-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianBarbarian
    Sounds like your friend is probably not qualified to work on hydraulic brakes. If the brake came with a bad bleed from the factory is should need to be bled one time. If the problem comes back within a short time then obviously bleeding again is not going to fix it.
    Lol this is an on going problem for the last 5-6 years as far as I can remember on many different brands of bikes. Also it has been happening on customers bikes that have been brought here from abroad. As for My Friend and his Shop's Qualifications their mechanics they are all more then qualified to bleed my and everyone else's brakes!

____
    Kimo

Recreational Racer
    I have Juicy 7's on my Giant that spent two years on Guam, never had any issues other than a bad bleed job when I learning how to bleed my brakes.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I Cairns, Australia, Hgih humidty and me and Mrs Hay Ewe ride all year round
    I ahve Juicy 5 since Jan 08, no problems.

Mrs. Hay Ewe had Juicy three, problem with the front, changed to Elixer and no problems since.

Also, rarely get the warbling noise either - disks are moutend on Mavic Crosstrail wheels

Hay Ewe

mtbr member
    it seems the elixirs come with air in their initial bleeds so even when you get a set of brakes/a new bike, you will need to bleed them to get them to feel as they should. it's sad

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lol this is an on going problem for the last 5-6 years as far as I can remember on many different brands of bikes. Also it has been happening on customers bikes that have been brought here from abroad. As for My Friend and his Shop's Qualifications their mechanics they are all more then qualified to bleed my and everyone else's brakes!
    Did you actually read my entire post before you started typing? I never said that they couldn't bleed a set of brakes. What I said was that if the brakes are bled properly and the problem comes back quickly then bleeding the brakes again is very unlikely the permanently solve the problem. You stated that Avid brakes need constant bleeding. I am telling you that no hydraulic brake that is working properly ever needs constant bleeding and if a shop is doing that then they are putting their customers health at risk. Being qualified to work on hydraulic brakes as a professional requires more than just knowing how to do a bleed. You also stated that most Avid brakes have this problem. Perhaps many do but my 1 set of Avid hydros worked fine from the factory and the only maintenance they've needed was a pad replacement. I doubt that most hydraulic brakes made by Avid have the problems that you are describing.

Name dropping your "friend" and his shop in a thread where you are ripping on the products they sell is just stupid. Given your total lack of comprehension of my previous post, I doubt that you are accurately representing the statements made by your "friend".

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianBarbarian
    Did you actually read my entire post before you started typing? I never said that they couldn't bleed a set of brakes. What I said was that if the brakes are bled properly and the problem comes back quickly then bleeding the brakes again is very unlikely the permanently solve the problem. You stated that Avid brakes need constant bleeding. I am telling you that no hydraulic brake that is working properly ever needs constant bleeding and if a shop is doing that then they are putting their customers health at risk. Being qualified to work on hydraulic brakes as a professional requires more than just knowing how to do a bleed. You also stated that most Avid brakes have this problem. Perhaps many do but my 1 set of Avid hydros worked fine from the factory and the only maintenance they've needed was a pad replacement. I doubt that most hydraulic brakes made by Avid have the problems that you are describing.

Name dropping your "friend" and his shop in a thread where you are ripping on the products they sell is just stupid. Given your total lack of comprehension of my previous post, I doubt that you are accurately representing the statements made by your "friend".
    Hey quit ya yellin.......
    My Name dropping is per request of my "friend' I would not have posted a link to his shop's website if I was not representing him. you are free to give him a call if you do not believe me.... (808)961-4452 No I do not work for the shop in question but that does not make me a non Representative

The Statement "
    that most Avid brakes have this problem
    Yes Here where I ride, Hilo Hawaii, the Brakes have this problem. I think it's a problem like i said before with the high humidity and constant wet conditions we ride in. My "Friend" the owner of Hilo Bike Hub asked me to post a thread asking if anybody else out there is experiencing these issues.

The constant bleeding of these systems is the only "remedy" besides changing out the entire Master/Caliper combo. I know this "fix" is just a band-aid on a gunshot wound but it keeps you going. Imagine doing a ride and your front wheel constantly dragging? Sucks huh? The System is simply absorbing too much moisture from the air and building pressure therefore locking up the caliper. I don't know, they don't know how this is happening with this so called "sealed system" but it is.

As for your so called "health risk" if you properly dispose of dot fluid.......
    Last edited by ae111black; 04-07-2011 at 01:38 PM.

____
    Kimo

T.W.O.
    What did avid said when the brakes were sent back to them for warranty. Did avid come up with solutions? How 'bout the other shops in the area do they have the same problems. What about hope brakes they used dot too any problems with those as well?

I'm try to narrow down any possibility that may have common problem from any above sources mentioned. Your title is a bit of a stretch covering not one but 2 generations of avid brake lines. What evidence that your shop offer to you other than your op. This is not an attempt to bust your balls but I want to know in case it turn out to be the case as your situation is quite specific to the location but not necessary climate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As for your so called "health risk" if you properly dispose of dot fluid.......
    You are clueless dude, the health risk is putting people on the trail with brakes that are not functioning properly. If your conditions are truly so hardcore, then I guess the only solution if for the shop to stop selling Avid brakes but since other shops in areas with high humidity don't have the same problem I tend to doubt your story.

In any case bleeding brakes is only a solution for air in the system, if the fluid is contaminated with water then bleeding will not solve the problem.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    What did avid said when the brakes were sent back to them for warranty. Did avid come up with solutions? How 'bout the other shops in the area do they have the same problems. What about hope brakes they used dot too any problems with those as well?

I'm try to narrow down any possibility that may have common problem from any above sources mentioned. Your title is a bit of a stretch covering not one but 2 generations of avid brake lines. What evidence that your shop offer to you other than your op. This is not an attempt to bust your balls but I want to know in case it turn out to be the case as your situation is quite specific to the location but not necessary climate.
    That's an awesome statement.... I'll talk to him today to see if he has talked to the other shops in the area. I don't really do business with them so I really don't have a rapport with them. As for Hope Set up's I haven't seen many here in Hawaii but I'm sure they are out there. They have also had problem's with Hayes set ups but not as many as the Avid's

Basically Avid just sends a new set of brakes out (thats how I got my current elixr set up...) I think they are fully aware of the rampant problems we are having by now...

____
    Kimo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast