Marta VS. Mono Mini VS. B4 SL

Weighing all the parameters:

Weight
    Cost
    Effectiveness
    Modulation
    Reliability
    etc, etc...

Who would win in the all for one grunge match up?

Magura Marta
    Hope Mono Mini
    or
    Formula B4 SL
    [Size=2]Looking for...
    A PINK Chris King Headset... and disc hubs!

As well as a Morati crankset!
    PLEASE Email me or PM me with any leads!!!
    [/size]

banned
    Jan 2004

I went with the Marta, though Formula's customer service is just as good I hear,...

Quote Originally Posted by
    Weighing all the parameters:

Weight
    Cost
    Effectiveness
    Modulation
    Reliability
    etc, etc...

Magura Marta
    Hope Mono Mini
    or
    Formula B4 SL
    ... and customer service is very important when you're comparing brakes that are comparable in performance. One of the other main reasons I chose the Marta, is that the basics of it's design has remained the same for a few years now, the only changes being fluid viscosity and seal durometer. I also wanted something with mineral fluid, which is much milder and won't hurt things if you spill it. Magura and Hope both use 2mm thick rotors, vs 1.7-1.8 on other brands. I also like Magura's simple magnetic pad holders, vs the clips and springs others use. Any of these brakes will probably perform well if set up and maintained properly, it's just a matter of picking out the little details which lean towards your interests.

Note: Be aware that if you go Marta, make sure that you're not in need of rotors larger than 160, as they will not fit them. If you think you might need to eventually go 180 front, or front and rear, the Louise FR is the better choice in the Magura line. It's really best to try and figure out up front what size rotors you'll require, as many manufacturers are making different size calipers to specifically fit certain rotor sizes, without needing adapters. Adapters add weight, and may not provide as stiff a mount, esp if you don't check bolt tightness regularly. The latest Formula (Pro+ I think it's called), has a 160 rear rotor with adapter mount. I'm not a big fan of adapters, but they're not a problem if you don't mind a bit less weight efficient design and keep them tight

simply me
    Quote Originally Posted by

Magura Marta
    Hope Mono Mini
    or
    Formula B4 SL
    I have owned XT's, B4Pro's and now the Hope Mono Mini.... Reasons for trying both the Minis and B4's are/were split perch on the clamp, the levers do not interfere with the shifter pods, regular DOT fluid, and last but not least both these systems have a 160/140 rotor set-up that means you use the same caliper front and rear, handy if you need to swap things around or break something.

Both the B4 pro and Mono feel great, they modulate well and have plenty of power. I raced all last season on the B4's (Expert) they let me down twice due to getting air in the system. They B4's are also a pain in the ass to bleed compared to the mini's and XT's.

Customer service was good with the B4's however I opted to go with the Minis for 04 due to the air problems.

The B4's are cast, the Mini's are CNC'd the difference is night and day with the Mini's looking really nice. Also there is a lot less material on the right side of the caliper. With both the B4's and XT's the spokes on the front wheel were really close to the calpier and would ocasionally rub. With the Minis this gap is a lot bigger and it looks like contact is unlikely.

I have not tried the Marta's for the reasons above, ie no split perch, interference with the shifter pods (indicators), etc....

The new B4pro+ doesn't appeal to me due to the use of a rear adapter, the calipers F/R not matching in an I.S. setup and the additional weight.
    Last edited by bostonkiwi; 02-14-2004 at 07:16 AM.

ا
    Sounds like it's down to the Mini's and Marta's...

I have the Marta's now... but was thinking about a new build and was curious.

Also, sometimes with the rotor being wavey, I have experienced a slight whir sound occasionally.

Thx.
    [Size=2]Looking for...
    A PINK Chris King Headset... and disc hubs!

As well as a Morati crankset!
    PLEASE Email me or PM me with any leads!!!
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode hope C2s for several years and they are great. Kind of heavy, but very simple, reliable and effective.

I build up a new bike and decided to try Marta. Never really liked them. The levers don't feel very good to the hand, the reach is not adjustable, and I have had chronic air in the system. I have bled the rears twice and a local "certified Magura" shop has bled them twice and the problem is still there. I am sending back to Magura to let them sort it out.

In the mean time I have installed mono minis. So far the function of the Hopes is very good. The Martas may be a little stronger but the Hopes power is sufficient and they have a little better modulation. The levers feel great. Mine don't howl at all and I am running the stock pads.

I have called Hope a few time over the years and have never has any trouble getting spares or service.

I guess I'm a Hope guy.

Good luck.
    David

the Truth will set u free
    Quote Originally Posted by drjos
    I build up a new bike and decided to try Marta. Never really liked them. The levers don't feel very good to the hand, the reach is not adjustable...
    That's strange, my 2003 Magura Marta brakes do have an adjustable lever reach via a 2.5mm allen head bolt near the lever pivot. It should be mentioned in your Owner's Manual on page 9.
    2001 Ellsworth Truth