mtbr member

marta vs. marta sl? Is SL worth it or even better?

Just kinda down to these two contenders - looked at xtr and juicy's. Are there any other diff's btwn the two besides weight and carbon levers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

nope

In no way are the marta SLs worth it. Assuming by 'worth' you mean cost per functionality gained.

They're the same brake. The Martas use black (or gray) caliper bodies and lever bodies with a silver lever. The SLs use carbon fiver lever to save a few (what, seven is it?) grams, and use a silver cliper body and lever body.

However, I own the SLs. Why? Well, cause the few bucks it cost were nothing when compared to the 'cool and rediculous' factor. Plus, silver matched my bike better, and carbon fiber just sets them off. They're freaking awesome looking.

So are they worth it? Depends on where your priorities are.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyster99
    In no way are the marta SLs worth it. Assuming by 'worth' you mean cost per functionality gained.

They're the same brake. The Martas use black (or gray) caliper bodies and lever bodies with a silver lever. The SLs use carbon fiver lever to save a few (what, seven is it?) grams, and use a silver cliper body and lever body.

However, I own the SLs. Why? Well, cause the few bucks it cost were nothing when compared to the 'cool and rediculous' factor. Plus, silver matched my bike better, and carbon fiber just sets them off. They're freaking awesome looking.

So are they worth it? Depends on where your priorities are.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I just got a new pair of Marta SLs.
    The front = 346g (uncut, fully bled, all bolts, rotor, etc.); the rear = 360g; total = 706g.

Functionally, the Martas are the same as the SLs, with the exception of the oh-so-stiff Carbon lever. The Marta used to not come with the SLs wavy rotor, but they do now.

I've only got 3 rides on my SLs so far, so it is still too early to comment. However, if first impressions are anything, these are going to be an incredible brake.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr remember
    Sounds similar to the debate on Hayes Mag vs Mag plus thread. Except the Mag plus uses ti hardware, along w/ the carbon lever blade. - pretty much just a "yuppie" factor.
    sorry for posting, I have no experience with martas, although they sound like excellent XC brakes, esp. when paired w/ the shimano sti levers (just another reason not to get SLs I guess!).
    Schralp it Heavy.