mtbr member

Marta vs. Formula RX

Hello all. Have been doing my research and I know both are highly regarded brakes. I have a set of Martas on my heckler now and have liked them. I bought them late last year so I have not really put them to the test on the long trails. I now have an opportunity to buy a brand new set of Formula RX brakes (2011) for 200 bucks. Its the whole set including rotors. Want to ask:

1: are they worth the price im getting them at
    2: are they that much better than Martas

Cant decide If if I should buy them or just save the cash and buy something else. Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Anybody? Bueller?Bueller?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have never owned either pair but I do have The Ones and really like them and have heard nothing but great reviews on most of the formula brakes and 2 bills sounds like a good deal so I would probably get them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    well i'd probably go marta's ... german technology impresses me more than italian one...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I was just trying to see if I should spend the 200 or buy something else since I do like the Martas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Martas can be pretty powerful brakes. In my experience more powerful than the RX. IMHO, if everything is OK with your Martas, then I would spend the 200$ on something else.

sock puppet

never owned Formulas

have been using Marta's for the last 5 years - on all my bikes.
    Occassionally I was comparing Martas to something else (XX WC, MT8, XTR) but went running back to Marta. Nothing comes close to their power, smooth travel, reliability and ease of bleeding...

If you are happy with them - you can experiment, but you will always go back to your trusty Martas...

Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    Hello all. Have been doing my research and I know both are highly regarded brakes. I have a set of Martas on my heckler now and have liked them. I bought them late last year so I have not really put them to the test on the long trails. I now have an opportunity to buy a brand new set of Formula RX brakes (2011) for 200 bucks. Its the whole set including rotors. Want to ask:

1: are they worth the price im getting them at
    2: are they that much better than Martas

Cant decide If if I should buy them or just save the cash and buy something else. Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I was kinda having a moment of upgradeitis, but since it wouldnt be a huge upgrade I was having second thoughts, especially if my martas have been working awesome. Will put them a lot more to the test this year but judging from replies, I wont have any issues..

singletrack bound

I can't wait!

I'm going from Formula K18's to Marta SL's. I got to ride a bike with these on it and damn! they feel nice! I've got to cut a steerer tube on my new fork first then install the fork and the brakes.

Maybe this weekend!

The K-18's will go on my SS. They have been decent brakes but they are finicky. Always adjusting and stuff. Seem to burn through pads pretty quickly (small pad surface)

They have been pretty good brakes but I have a feeling I'm going to like these Marta's!
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Just an update. I ended up getting the RX for a great price (160 bucks with rotors). Have been loving them. The martas were not too far of but man the RX's feel really nice. Have plenty of power and modulation, very easy to install, and honestly their CS has been way better that Magura in some aspects. Put them down some gnarly decent already and they didnt quit. Love em, was going to put the martas on my spare but my fork was post mount and my martas were both IS so I sold them for 140 bucks. Not a bad swap IMHO, gonna buy some Louise for the spare as I do like the Magura brand.

Final verdict
    Martas are great
    Formula RX are great