Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    380

    Marta strong enough?

    Can the Martas with 6" rotors be able to handle a 160 lb load (rider + bike and gear) going down the slopes of a ski resort? I'm concerned about brake fade/warped rotors due to heat caused by extended downhills. Do I need to upgrade to something beefier?

  2. #2
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629

    Perhaps not....

    Marta are designed for XC. Going down ski slopes is beyond the intended use of Marta.

    Check out Louise FR. It weighs less than a half pound more but has significantly more stopping power and is designed to handle longer descents & more heat.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    There's no app for this.
    Reputation: JimC.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,377

    yes you need more

    I'm 185 on a 40lb Bullit, BUT, my 6" Louise were not enough power for steeps, the gustavs are though.

    At the least, 190mm in front, 208mm if it'll fit. The rear isn't quite so important.

    Jim MCM #11

  4. #4
    the Truth will set u free
    Reputation: AndyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    71

    A question for you...

    Quote Originally Posted by duc135
    Can the Martas with 6" rotors be able to handle a 160 lb load (rider + bike and gear) going down the slopes of a ski resort? I'm concerned about brake fade/warped rotors due to heat caused by extended downhills. Do I need to upgrade to something beefier?
    Will downhill riding by your primary use for this bike? If so, Marta's shouldn't be your first choice.

    However, if you're only going to be hitting the ski resort slopes from time to time, and the rest of the time just ride/race cross-country, then the Marta's may work out OK for you.
    2001 Ellsworth Truth

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,521

    Andy, why do you say "primary use"?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyH
    Will downhill riding by your primary use for this bike? If so, Marta's shouldn't be your first choice.

    However, if you're only going to be hitting the ski resort slopes from time to time, and the rest of the time just ride/race cross-country, then the Marta's may work out OK for you.
    I have just about the same question, I'm 150 with a 30lbs bike and do only occasionnal ski resorts. I really like the Martas but I hesitate, maybe the Louise FR would be better.

    The point is, I am convinced that Martas will be powerful enough considering my weight and the fact that I am not racing downhill. However, I am concerned about the possibility that the Martas overheat if in a long trail going down.

    So, for me, occasionnal or not, if you end up with brakes that don't brake anymore in the middle of a trail going down, you are in trouble!!!

    Considering this, do you think a Louise FR would have less chance of overheating that Martas? Or am I completely out to lunch on my whole theory here?

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    380

    Ride mostly XC with the occassional trip to the slopes,

    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I have just about the same question, I'm 150 with a 30lbs bike and do only occasionnal ski resorts. I really like the Martas but I hesitate, maybe the Louise FR would be better.

    The point is, I am convinced that Martas will be powerful enough considering my weight and the fact that I am not racing downhill. However, I am concerned about the possibility that the Martas overheat if in a long trail going down.

    So, for me, occasionnal or not, if you end up with brakes that don't brake anymore in the middle of a trail going down, you are in trouble!!!

    Considering this, do you think a Louise FR would have less chance of overheating that Martas? Or am I completely out to lunch on my whole theory here?

    Thanks.
    but like the guy above, I fear brake failure after a long descent. When I say 160lbs, that's me (with armor after a full meal and drenched through with water), my bike, lot's of water and gear. I actually only weigh about 120 (125 on a good day). I just wanted to err on the side of caution. The reason I ask is that I already have the Marta's and would like to keep them if I could, but if the consensus is to get something beefier then so be it. I guess the follow up question would be Louise FR, Gustav or some other manufacturer?

    Duc

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,088

    Idea! You have to consider the slope and technique, but there's another option too.

    I think alot of it depends on the type of slope run, and your technique in using the brakes. If the run has alot of straight down steep stuff, where you don't have time to feather the brakes on and off, they're going to heat up much more. If the run has alot of traversing zig zag in it, and you're not the type that likes to get in a death grip with the levers, you may be OK. Have you considered just getting the Louise FR front with 180 rotor, which adds only about 80 gm and costs less, as well as leaving you the option to stick with the light setup for racing, epics, etc. or seasonal changes? Many go Louise FR 180/160, but the Louise 160 has the same stopping power as the Marta according to Magura.

  8. #8
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629

    This comes up from time to time....

    The Martas may be enough. But they may not. They are designed and marketing as a lightweight XC racing brake. In my opinion, long descents on ski slopes does not qualify as lightweight XC braking. Every now & then someone will post saying Martas suck because during a long descent they lose power and then we respond that the person is not using the right tool for the job and there's nothing wrong with the brake.

    The point is that Lousie FR really only weighs marginally more but is designed to do what you want it to do. It's an excellent option for those wanting something a bit stronger and less likely to overheat. Jimi at Magura will tell you the same thing.
    I've been running Louise FR with the 180mm front/160mm rear for 3 years for aggressive XC/trailriding and have been very pleased.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068
    How about mismatching the brakes? I mean, we can buy them one wheel at a time, right?

    Is there any reason not to run a Marta SL in back, and a Louise (which one's lighter?) on the front? Do both use the same lever on the bar? Could one retrofit a Louise caliper and rotor into a Marta system? If "mismatching", would they feel different from one another?

    I saw that "brake force" data on the Magura site, and thought that the Martas were rated for the same braking forces as the Louise, but are just lighter. I use vee brakes now, if you can't tell, but is the primary difference between these two lines that one can use a larger rotor, only?

  10. #10
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    How about mismatching the brakes? I mean, we can buy them one wheel at a time, right?

    Is there any reason not to run a Marta SL in back, and a Louise (which one's lighter?) on the front? Do both use the same lever on the bar? Could one retrofit a Louise caliper and rotor into a Marta system? If "mismatching", would they feel different from one another?

    I saw that "brake force" data on the Magura site, and thought that the Martas were rated for the same braking forces as the Louise, but are just lighter. I use vee brakes now, if you can't tell, but is the primary difference between these two lines that one can use a larger rotor, only?
    Not sure if they're compatable. Issues of an open bath to a closed bath system...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Not sure if they're compatable. Issues of an open bath to a closed bath system...
    They are both open systems, I'd talk to Jimi to make sure you could switch calipers to levers... I think you can...... but it would be best to ask Magura directly. If it were me I'd just go with the Louise FR. I have a set and they are not heavy at all, and you can run 210mm front and 190mm rear rotors... more than enough brake for anyone.
    Pat T.

Similar Threads

  1. Post your SS pics here!!!!!!!!!
    By singlespeedy in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 07:42 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 03:49 PM
  3. Avid Juicys...
    By ManbIKE in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 06:21 PM
  4. Trade louise or Marta pads for Julies
    By Bert in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •