zeebot

marta sl squeal '04

they squeal really bad when wet but silent again once they dry. is this going to change with age? i just used them today for my first ride in wet/muddy conditions...they work great all the time just sounds like i'm killing a pig when squeezing them after a healthy dose of water/mud.

Are you talking to me?

Are the tabs on the frame and fork faced?

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    they squeal really bad when wet but silent again once they dry. is this going to change with age? i just used them today for my first ride in wet/muddy conditions...they work great all the time just sounds like i'm killing a pig when squeezing them after a healthy dose of water/mud.
    That seems to help some.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Brake Squel

There is a new product from Moterex that stops disk brake squel. It is a copper compound you apply once. I have never used it. My brakes squel when wet also. I live in California so there is not enough wet conditions to worry about it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had good luck stopping squealling by removing the rotors and sanding the brake surface with a orbital sander and fine sandpaper. I have also sanded the pads lightly and cleaned everything with alchohol.

Wayno

Sublime Absurdity
    What does "facing" mean?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

There's no app for this.

wet brakes squeal. Period...

I've have/had 4/ 5 sets brands: Magura (Louise & Gustav) Hayes Comps; Hope M4's; Shimano 525's. My wife runs Shimano mechanicals.

Whenever you get them wet, expect noise.

Jim

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    I've have/had 4/ 5 sets brands: Magura (Louise & Gustav) Hayes Comps; Hope M4's; Shimano 525's. My wife runs Shimano mechanicals.

Whenever you get them wet, expect noise.

Jim
    i suppose i was riding in ridiculously wet conditions. since that day i posted they've been perfectly fine with only a light squeal occasionally during very heavy braking for extended periods of time. like the brakes(don't love them yet) but i think once i get the kinks worked out they will serve me well.

one other issue i'll address in a different post since it's unrelated to squealing.

There's no app for this.

facing means

you use a tool to make sure the interface between your brake calipers and the bike frame/fork tabs is perfectly flat. It's a hand tool that strips paint and metal to ensure the mount of your system is perfect. It's not now, trust me.

I can't find the Gnannomat one I've used, here's some pix of the Hope tool. Your LBS should have one., If not, they are short a very necessary tool they should have.
    http://www.hopetech.com/products/tool_02.htm
    Jim MCM #11