Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

marta sl rotor, what's a good alternative?

i'm having a bit of trouble with my marta sl rotors, (the wavy jobs). the front in particular is causing my fork to judder, and it just doesn't feel good! could anyone recommend a good alternative?

It's about showing up.

How long have you had these installed.

What did you do to break them in?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This actually sounds more like a set up problem. Are your mount tabs/posts properly faced and such?

You can run hayes, avid, formula rotors if you want. Or, the SL drilled rotors from magura will work. They are heavier, though.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    they're broken in, i've been using them for a couple of months now. regarding the set up, it is as should be...

the problem i have is with the magura 'ABS' effect that the wavy rotor gives. it is the front brake that i have the issue with, in particular the visible effect that it has on my fork!

so, i was thinking maybe hope mono mini, or formula rotors but, i'm not sure if the braking surface is sufficient?

mtbr member
    Just by looking at the rotor, I would venture to say that this ABS effect is caused every time the pad hits a rotor spoke which are close to being perpendicular to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow

thanks, that's very informative.

how did the brakes fair on your epic?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    they're broken in, i've been using them for a couple of months now. regarding the set up, it is as should be...

the problem i have is with the magura 'ABS' effect that the wavy rotor gives. it is the front brake that i have the issue with, in particular the visible effect that it has on my fork!

so, i was thinking maybe hope mono mini, or formula rotors but, i'm not sure if the braking surface is sufficient?
    The new R1 formula rotor (single or 2 piece) have a larger braking area (about 2mm more) than the oro series). If you run a 180/160 set up, you'll save some weight too Compared to the area of the wavey rotors, I think you'll have plenty of braking surface

The 2 piece R1 rotors are on sale at speedgoat, but still pricey. I think the 2 piece looks nice, but not worth the price just for weight only.
    https://www.speedgoat.com/product.as...at=26&brand=89

This ABS affect is interesting. Since the 2009 martas are using the 6.1 pads, I could see the pads hitting the rotor arm more. The pads hit the rotor arm (just barely)on my 2007 martas with the 5.1. I think I would have a hard time getting used to it as the poster in the magura forum said.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 03-30-2009 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, I have the 180mm rotor up front. In dry conditions, I don't experience any judder at all - only in wet, muddy conditions : judder + noise. My friend with has Cannondale Scalpel has the 160mm mounted up front on his Lefty. When braking hard going downhill, the judder is noticeably there.

Perhaps a good alternative would be Formula's rotors? The regular ones they have are about the same thickness as the Marta's (2.1mm). The R1 rotors are only 1.72mm. Haven't thried them however.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I have the 180mm rotor up front. In dry conditions, I don't experience any judder at all - only in wet, muddy conditions : judder + noise. My friend with has Cannondale Scalpel has the 160mm mounted up front on his Lefty. When braking hard going downhill, the judder is noticeably there.

Perhaps a good alternative would be Formula's rotors? The regular ones they have are about the same thickness as the Marta's (2.1mm). The R1 rotors are only 1.72mm. Haven't thried them however.
    The R1 rotors are thinner, but the magura pistons can move a lot before there is an issue. There could be a heat absorption issue on the long DHs. The regular Formula rotors are just under 2.0 and should be fine.

I think the SL drilled once would be a better choice. The weight is about the same and they are rather inexpensive at PricePoint.com. I think I saw them for $20. I have not seen any new Formula rotors for less than $32

mtbr member
    Drilled SL rotor in 160mm weighs 142g, the same size Formula is about 110g I think.

ups and downs
    Sure they do, even cheaper... $17 at Price Point
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Drilled SL rotor in 160mm weighs 142g, the same size Formula is about 110g I think.
    I remember them being less than that and maybe the 180mm around 150 gr. I will look at my pics later tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I found the pics
    formula 160
    Form_160-c.JPG

formula 180
    Form_180-c.JPG

Magura SL drilled 160
    Mag_SLDrilled-160-c.JPG

Magura SL drilled 180
    Mag_SLDrilled-180-c.JPG

mtbr member
    Ah, even better I looked up the weights on the Magura website under accessories

mtbr member
    Two weekends ago I rode the Marta SL's 2009 in very muddy conditions. After a while a clear 'judder' feeling in both the front and rear brake could be felt. The bike / brakes were properly cleaned and air dried afterwards. Yesterday we went out for a ride, and I was very amazed that every time I braked, the whole front fork / rear triangle vibrated : like braking on cobble stones. Afters 50km the feeling was still present. I inspected the contact area of the pads on the wave rotor : only the upper & lower part showed marks of the pads rubbing the discs - perhaps sanding the pads a little will cure this?

As stated elsewhere in this topic, perhaps due to the extra pad material, toughing the rotor spokes, the new '09 models are more subject to judder? I'll think I'll mount some (round) Formula rotors instead of Magura's wave rotors for my next ride. This is a problem that is popping up on more and more websites. Perhaps back to the drawing board for the disc / pad combination?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i put a hope rotor on my front brake. the judder is still there but not as bad... i think as you say madskatingcow, 'perhaps sanding the pads a little will cure it?' or indeed formula rotors may be the solution.

mtbr member
    Well, I have update the thread on Magura's Marta SL forum, hoping to find out more there. There are also similar topics / complaints about this issue there. Hope we're not going down the Avid Juicy path ...

This shouldn't be happening, isn't it? The judder is not minor, it's huge and disturbs the concentration on technical sections

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    madskatingcow,

how have you got on with the formula rotors?

mtbr member
    Well, I mounted myself the Formula R1 front rotor which I still had laying around from my set Formula R1 brakes (which I sold). A few runs up and down the street : issue was gone, no more juddering.

Two things :

a) I might mount the Formula Oro rotor as it has about the same thickness as the Marta SL wave rotor. The R1 rotor is really thin, but the lever feel of the Marta's doesn't change : reach & modulation are the same

b) At first my wave rotors didn't judder, but they were after a muddy ride. What I noticed was that the brake pas had worn out a little concave ( ~ hollow) The mid part of the pads was glazed, the outer parts that hit the 'wave' of the rotor were thicker than the middle part, so they were sticking further out and touching the waved part / spokes of the rotor. I sanded the pads slighttly to take away the glazed part.

The brakes are really awesome, it's just that the rotors don't really match that well with the new 'Louise' pads.

Picture of my Marta SL 180mm wave rotor, note the area that is used by the brake pads, especially how low the brake pads go on the rotor arms :

Close-up picture of the brake pad / Marta SL rotor - note the color of the pads where it makes full contact & where it touches the spokes.

Picture of the Marta SL 180 disc on top of Formula's R1 180 disc : note the increased brake area of the R1 rotor vs the Marta SL rotors.

ps : Next week I'll be receiving my Magura Marta SL Magnesiums
    Last edited by madskatingcow; 04-24-2009 at 01:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    hey that's good news!

i totally agree with the fact that the pads do not have an adequate braking surface to work correctly with the sl rotor.

i'd ideally like 'the passion people' to admit this though, and rectify it, (dream on).
    Last edited by parkincake; 04-24-2009 at 01:39 AM.

mtbr member
    I have added two more pictures in my previous post

I am running now Formula R1 180 / 160 rotors, issue is gone

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Interesting...

Using XT brakes with Magura SL-rotors, I have quite similar issues: same glazing at the center of the pad, vibration, not so superb brakepower. Hastely changing the front-rotor for some standard Shimano fare without even looking at the brakepads solved the problem. Rear (with SL-rotor) can still be shuddery and noisy (low, scary vibration-noise) in the wet (seatstays are not that stiff on my Turner Nitrous). Pitty, because I love the shape of the Magura's...

Arnborg strik

Will the 2 piece rotor fit????

Im also having problems with glazing/juddering with my Marta with SL rotors
    Does anybody know if i can use the R1 two piece rotor??? Will the rivits on the rotor make a problem??
    Single dad, and proud of it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    Im also having problems with glazing/juddering with my Marta with SL rotors
    Does anybody know if i can use the R1 two piece rotor??? Will the rivits on the rotor make a problem??
    I'm wondering the same thing. Will the two piece R1 rotors work with magura marta sl brakes? Anyone running this combo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast