cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marta SL overhaul

I've got a set of Marta SLs on a bike that I'm doing a full overhaul on, and was curious about doing a full overhaul on the brakes as well. After reading the Marta documentation and the forums on Magura's site, I came up with the following procedure which I think is about as close as you can get to a full rebuild on the Martas:

* Take out the pads, clean and inspect the parts.
    * Remove the brake lever and clean the pivots as per Magura's "Marta SL sticking lever blade" tech tip PDF
    * Full bleed according to the service manual
    * Perform the "mobilize stuck pistons" service as per Magura "Mobilizing sticked (sic) pistons on MAGURA disc brakes" PDF
    * Clean disks with alcohol
    * Reassemble
    * 30 stops from 30kph if needed to bed pads/rotor.

Reason for wanting to do a "full service" is I just got another set of Marta SLs for my wife's bike, and the feel and function of the new ones is far better than what I've gotten used to on my bike. Levers were a little softer, (thus the bleed) sometimes the pistons didn't seem to retract evenly, (thus the mobilizing stuck pistons) and the lever action wasn't quite as smooth as the new levers. (thus the cleaning the levers/pivots)

I see there's nothing you can do about rebuilding the master or slave cylinders, which I guess simplifies life.

Just wanted to see what the brake experts thought about my procedure, and if there was anything I'm missing. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think a good bleed and the "stuck piston" thing will do the most. I never seemed to need to clean the lever by taking it off. However, it can't hurt to clean them up.

I always did the "stuck piston" thing when ever I changed pads. The bleeds when ever my lever did not return quickly.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.