mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Marta SL Mag vs Formula R1

Hi guys, I'm buying new brakes and I’ve narrowed it down to the Magura Marta SL Magnesium's and the Formula R1's. I know this question may have been asked before, maybe even beaten to death, but it seems like I can't get a straight answer anywhere. This is what I have heard; maybe you guys could verify or correct them. I like them both, but I've read that the Formula's can be a PITA to set up, are finicky about maintenance, and drag the pads. The Marta's are supposed to be super easy to set up and maintain, but are heavier, cost more, and are only available in that God awful white.

bottom line; the Formula R1's seem sexier, but the Marta's more practical

what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    If you don't like the white then just get the Marta SL in black or red the mag version only saves something like 30 grams but what ever Martas you may go for make sure that you get the Storm rotors as they are great.

I fitted my new 2011 Martas last week and am going to write a short review toninght but I can say that there is so much power to be had (with Storm rotors) that they require more built in control, the levers are very much like an on/off switch and are almost scary to use so I will be changing to the endurance pads in the hope that it will tame them.

Fitting is a doddle with no pad rub and the levers feel great in the fingers with a nice chunky lever blade.

I have had lots of brakes over many years and these are the easiest to fit and forget and are very well made.

They are also silent even in the wet.( my reason for buying them )

sorry that I can't comment on the Formula R1 but I have never used them.

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: Quick update the endurance pads have made these perfect for me @165 lb. If I was heavier the performance pads would have been fine.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 10-01-2010 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

This is one of the dumber posts that I have seen in

a while. Both brakes are some of the best on the market.
    You are not anywhere near being a good enough rider that brake weight means anything in the least. Not even close. That is like thinking that Ti quick releases offer a performance advantage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    zkampyman

While your point that a lighter weight item will not make me a better rider is well taken; I have to point out that your reply is not only inflammatory, but also completely moronic and useless. FAIL. Thank you for playing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    R1-easy to set up. Easy to bleed. Service has been great. Slight squeel on the front after two monthys of riding. Rear resevoir leaked out of the package and was fixed by Formula in three days.

Marta-Great brake, easy to set up and no issues what so ever. (I do not have the mags)

Either are an excellent choice but my next build (wifes bike) will be with R1's.

The Missing
    May 2007
    I have R1's they are by far the best brakes I have ever used. No issues what so ever with setup or drag. Go R1 I have never tried the Magura brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i have both setups. formula the one and magura marta sl (non mag).

setup on both is identical to any other brake setup (i also have avid elixer r), its not any easier/harder on either. you bolt on the caliper, center the caliper on the rotor and your off.

i would say that bleeding the formulas is a bit easier as the fittings are better than the magura setup (even with the new bleed port on the MC). on the maguras theres no way to physically attach the syringe to the mc, so in my case, it kept coming off and spilling fluid all over the place. i used their proper associated bleed kits. another plus is the formula uses standard DOT brake fluid vs the magura mineral oil.

i do like the magura pistons and pad retention better, the pistons are composite with magnets to hold the pads, super slick setup. the formula uses the stupid spring like the avids that need some fiddling with on initial install.

formulas also have their mixmaster clamps which makes your handle bars super sexy and less cluttered.

braking power felt very similar, plenty of power, the formulas felt stronger, but, i couldnt get as good of a bleed on the maguras as i could on the formulas, so that might account for some of the difference in power.

both are very nice setups, but if i had to just choose 1 and re buy again, id do the formula the ones.