XC Racer

Marta SL or Hayes Mag Plus?

I was looking at both...only thing stopping me from getting the Martas was people complaining about getting air into their lines...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDavidson
    I was looking at both...only thing stopping me from getting the Martas was people complaining about getting air into their lines...
    I have had both and I like the SL's much better then the Mags. To me, the Mags feel more ON/OFF... having minimal modulation. I havent had my SL's long so I cannot comment on the air in the lines. However, if they are set up right, I dont see how they can get air inside.

mtbr member
    i believe that the hayes is an open system just like the maguras, so if u turn either upside down you'll get air in the brake lines

XC Racer
    yeah..just wondering since ive seen alot more complaints about martas with air in them compared to hayes..oh well im guessing those are the people who set it up poorly in their garages..

hooked on quack
    Nope. The Hayes can be upsidedown all day long. They can also be swapped out directly for right hand front brake action. Note they say Hayes on the underside as well. Been on some Mags for 3yrs. Have yet to need to bleed them. Been on 3 bikes. Agree, they are more on/off then most. Ok brakes, but not nearly as sweet as my Formula 03 B4 Pros.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    I love my Maguras and could not be happier. I now run the Marta SLs on the XC bike and Louise FR on the trailbike. Other than the Marta SLs for a XC bike, I liked the power and modulation of the XTR but HATED how finicky they were....both the original set AND the warranteed set but when they were working right they were nice....but still not Marta in my book. I liked the Hayes I ran in the past and can say they were reliable and the only annoying thing, though easily fixed, was to have to loctite the lever reach adjustment screw but easy fix....brakes were nothing great, but were not bad either.

Though I think I still have to give a nod to the Hope brakes from a vanity perspective.....the Marta SLs are no slouch.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-13-2005 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member

Well

From everything that i have heard; the main reason people get air in their lines is becuase of improper set-up. If you have a quality magura shop you should have no problems. i will be getting the louise fr on my new ride (motolite--can't wait!!!!)
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    From everything that i have heard; the main reason people get air in their lines is becuase of improper set-up. If you have a quality magura shop you should have no problems. i will be getting the louise fr on my new ride (motolite--can't wait!!!!)
    That is exactly right in my opinion....same goes for many other things where setup is not right...this is why I leave things like brakes to the pros

by the way, the magura louise FR are SWEEEET! You will love em....

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    FoShizzle,

Can you comment on the power of the Louise vs. Marta's? My underlying question would be - would you consider the Marta's up to the task on your trail bike, or is the extra weight of the Louise without a doubt worth the function? Are you using 180/160 rotors with the Louise?

thanks-

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbender
    FoShizzle,

Can you comment on the power of the Louise vs. Marta's? My underlying question would be - would you consider the Marta's up to the task on your trail bike, or is the extra weight of the Louise without a doubt worth the function? Are you using 180/160 rotors with the Louise?

thanks-

The Martas are fine if you are not heavy or need heavy braking. They are not the strongest but that's not the point. They are good for controlling your speed under normal XC conditions. However, if you are on the heavier side (180+) riding hard, have extended downhills (miles) requiring constant braking, or maybe just short on cash but still want excellent modulation, the Louise maybe be more suited to you. The Louise have larger rotors and resevoirs so they can take more heat. The Louise are more comparable to the Hayes but are still ligher because they don't need adapters.

Also on the Martas, the SL version is about $50 more than the standard Marta but they are the same brake with a slightly different finish and carbon lever blades. They are funcitonally identical with the same calipers, lever bodies, wave rotors etc. Unless you really like the feel and/or looks of the carbon lever blade or the silver finish, you can save some bucks and just get the standard black version.
    Long Live Long Rides

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbender
    FoShizzle,

thanks-
    As usual, Homebrew provides very good feedback.....

I use the Marta SLs on my XC 23.5 pound bike but then again, I weight about 180 and ride very aggressive so I still need a robust brake. In general, I really like the Martas and use only 1 finger braking, no problem (as I did with my XTRs). Homebrew makes a good point regarding the negligible benefit (if any) of the Marta SLs over the regular Martas but to be honest, I got carried away on this recent XC build and said what the heck....I'll pay the extra.

In terms of the Louise FR, I certainly cannot compare them to the Marta SLs I have since not only are they on another bike, but they are different sized rotors. Having said that, I love them and would HIGHLY recommend them for a more aggressive trailbike. The Marta SLs would probably honestly be good enough for the vast majority of my riding on my trailbike but I wanted to have more power for those instances when I needed it so I went with Louise FR on the trailbike. I love the levers on the Louise FR as they are very, very nice and would probably be the best brake lever out there for running twist shifter given their dimensions (I am going to switch to SRAM X.0 on the trailbike soon). I run twist shifter on the XC bike with the SLs and also have no problem but my hands are not small....for some, running twist shifter with the SLs (or a lot of other brake levers) may be awkward.

I feel the Louise FR are better than the Hayes I used to run on my Bullit (I ran 8" rotors). The power is strong on both but the feel/modulation on the Louise FR is better, in my humble opinion and again, I really dig the industrial looking Louise FR levers for a trailbike.

See pics for Louise FR both closeups and on bike from different angles. To answer another one of your quesitons, I run pretty big rotors on the Louise FR actually.....210mm front and 190mm rear.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-14-2005 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great Info guys!

Thanks for the added insight AND photos of the brakes. I am still a little in the air, but I really don't think I could go too wrong either way.

cheers,
    josh

XC Racer
    ah - thanks as well..but problem is that i dont have a magura shop around here...think regular shop will do it right? ill probably make the order soon

Jan 2004
    ah - thanks as well..but problem is that i dont have a magura shop around here...think regular shop will do it right? ill probably make the order soon
    as long as you are confident in the mechanic should be no problem. i bought my most recent brakes off of ebay and had a very good mechanic install them. should be no problem......however with the martas, i believe (but dont quote me) that facing the disc tabs will likely be necessary so make sure you are confident in their work. i am spoiled with some very good LBSs around here (and yes, I buy stuff from them as well ).

cheers

XC Racer
    ive got some pretty nice shops around here..so i think ill be able to trust them to do work on my bike - hopefully they wont ruin my martas and get air in them