Thread: Marta sl 2009's

mtbr member

Marta sl 2009's

I have the noisy brake deal going and wanted to see if anyone can suggest a different pad than the red ones here I have been using. Also where to purchase or order them. Disk brake newby here. Thanks, AR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marta sl 2009's-1010111141b.jpg  

You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Are you sure that those pads are for 2009? (Sure your brakes are 2009?) They look like they might be for older Martas. If your brakes are 2009 and you are hoping that new pads will stop the noise (although there could be other reasons your brakes are loud) then try Magura 6.1 Performance pads. Just do a search, for they are all over the place.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty impressed with the performance of the stock pads came with my 09 Magura Marta SLs. Quiet, & good stopping performance as they break in. Perhaps calipers need to be re-aligned, rotors cleaned, etc?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Looks like my take offs are 2008 marta sl's. It was a mechanic who replaced the original brake pads with the kool stops in the pic and he gave me a reserver pac. Is there a good online source to use for the same product I have?

mtbr member
    Sorry, but I am not sure just what you mean by "...to use for the same product I have?" I take it that you are not looking for more Kool-stop pads, but other pads that will fit your 2008 Martas. If so, and you want to try Margura pads, just do a search on "magura type 5.1 performance brake pads" or something like "marta 5.1 brake pads." The type 5.1 performance brake pads are the stock pads for 2008 Marta sl brakes.

But, there might be other reasons that your brakes are making noise. Try the 5.1 pads first, and be sure to bed them in properly. From the 2008 Marta sl manual: "New brakes and new rotors or brake pads must always be run in by braking at least 30 times from a speed of 30 km/h to achieve the maximum brake power. Take your bike to a safe place to run in the brake."

mtbr member
    Just got back from a ride and my just installed half worn brake pads were quiet as all get out. A one washer added adjustment killed the noise. My mechanic bud has more pads for me also he says. Thanks guys.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Small Parts - Brakes - Magura

Here is a good source if you can't find our OE pads at your local shop. Any shop that deals with BTI has access to all of our product and small parts or you can go direct.
    The after market manufacturers make good replacement pads but there are always slight variations in the compounds from originally designed and tested and sometimes the back plates and materials are less controlled and can affect performance.

Good luck and thanks for riding Magura!
    Jude