mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Marta Rotor More Likely to Squeal than Regular Wavy?

I just installed a set of '04 Louise FR's and I exchanged the rear 180mm wavy rotor for a 160mm to keep from having to use the adapter. Universal Cycles sent me the Marta style 160mm rotor, instead of the regular 160mm rotor, and I'm wondering if I should send it back again. Will the Marta style rotor (no holes) tend to squeal more than the regular 160mm rotor?

LL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

doesn't sound right to me . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Louie
    I just installed a set of '04 Louise FR's and I exchanged the rear 180mm wavy rotor for a 160mm to keep from having to use the adapter. Universal Cycles sent me the Marta style 160mm rotor, instead of the regular 160mm rotor, and I'm wondering if I should send it back again. Will the Marta style rotor (no holes) tend to squeal more than the regular 160mm rotor?

LL
    I'm not an expert, but I'd check the rotor thickness against the one you have up front. Magura is real uptight about mixing things, they might think you have no warranty on something like that. At least I'd check and see if the pads might get past a thinner rotor and pop out past when they're worn.

Plus which, in order to cut corners, they made both calipers the same in `04, so you have to use spacers in the back anyway. My thoughts on that are if you're going to have an interface in there, you might as well make it an adapter.

The case for 160 in back is that the alignment has got to be less critical, especially if the rear of the bike is flexy. Otherwise why not 180?

Bodhisattva

No.

No. You should not experience additional squeal.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Pads are wider than braking surface

Thanks for the replies. I rode around in the parking garage last night, giving the brakes a workout for almost an hour.

Observations:
    1) No squeal from the front at all.
    2) Rear began to squeal when hot. It didn't squeal constantly, but it heated up pretty fast.
    3) The marks on the rear "Marta style" rotor indicate that the Louise FR pads are wider than the rotor's braking surface. The pads overlap onto the spokes of the rotor by at least 5mm.

I should probably send back the rotor for a regular 160mm wavy.

LL

Bodhisattva

A few clarifications....

I can't see why the holes would affect squeal. Any brake can yelp a bit when real hot or wet.
    The holes are there for weight and allegedly also help the rotor cool off a bit faster.

I don't know when Magura went from the wavy without holes to with holes. I have a rear 160 Marta rotor with holes that I use with my rear Louise FR caliper. If I was paying for a new setup then I'd prefer having the holes, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it either.
    The pads do extend slightly onto the rotor splines. It is normal and this overlap is also present on your front brake if you look closely. The really is no difference between the rear Marta, Louise & Louise FR calipers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Actually, not so on front brake

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    It is normal and this overlap is also present on your front brake if you look closely. The really is no difference between the rear Marta, Louise & Louise FR calipers.
    Squeak,
    I did look closely, and the pad wear marks do not overlap the splines on the front. That's what got me wondering about it in the first place. The holes aren't really the reason I'm concerned. The braking surface is wider on the regular rotors, and they are also heavier, which tells me they will not overheat as fast. Also, I wonder if the heavier rotor might not resonate as easily.

LL

Bodhisattva

Exchange it...

For the sake of peace of mind you should exchange it for the rotor with holes. Use the excuse that you want the most current model.

mtbr member
    I don't know when Magura went from the wavy without holes to with holes.
    just to clarify
    Magura 160 round has holes
    Magura 160 wave has no holes
    Magura 180 wave has holes

Bodhisattva

Not entirely true...

My rear Magura 160 wavy has holes.
    I got it last September. Maybe they made a production shift or perhaps they offer it both with and without holes.

mtbr member
    My rear Magura 160 wavy has holes.
    I got it last September. Maybe they made a production shift or perhaps they offer it both with and without holes.
    ahhh, you are correct. I didn't realize they started making a wave 160 for the louise that is different from the wave 160 for the marta. The louise version has holes, but also seems to have a bigger braking surface. I'm curious to see if there is a weight difference. I'll have to bring my digi scale next time i'm at your house . btw, the poster should go to press at the end of next week.

Bodhisattva

From the horse's mouth

Spoke with Jimi this morning about the wavy Marta v. Louise:

The deal with the rotors is that the Marta and Marta SL wave rotors have a thinner (up and down) pad surface area with no holes. The Marta brakes themselves have thinner pads(up and down). This is to shave weight. The Louise wave rotors have a taller pad surface area and holes. So he just got a Marta specific rotor for his brake. This rotor is
    compatible. It will cause his pads to wear a bit uneven, but the heat dissipation should be fine although with the larger pad surface area and heavier Louise rotor the heat dissipation would obviously be better with this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll send it back for a replacement. What a pain.

LL