Thread: Marta question

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Marta question

I'm in the market for some good, light discs. There's a Marta review on bicycling.com that says:

"Where the Marta falls short is adjustability, or lack of it. The only compensation you can make for rotor/caliper relation is with shims. A problem if you need to move the caliper away from the center of the wheel. The other was inconsistent lever feel. Not pump-up, but with every pull the pads would engage at a different point. At times maximum power would come on quickly, while other times the lever would require a longer pull."

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/review...&family_id=122

Has anyone experienced the "inconsistent lever feel" or different engagement points with every pull??

Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Not me

Quote Originally Posted by retox
    I'm in the market for some good, light discs. There's a Marta review on bicycling.com that says:

"Where the Marta falls short is adjustability, or lack of it. The only compensation you can make for rotor/caliper relation is with shims. A problem if you need to move the caliper away from the center of the wheel. The other was inconsistent lever feel. Not pump-up, but with every pull the pads would engage at a different point. At times maximum power would come on quickly, while other times the lever would require a longer pull."

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/review...&family_id=122

Has anyone experienced the "inconsistent lever feel" or different engagement points with every pull??
    I am a new Marta owner (about 1 month) after being on Hayes for years. I have had no such problem as that.

There is quite a bit of modualtion, and I find the lever reach adjustment enough for me.
    I amazed at the degree of control I have, and how I am not skidding where I used to on the Hayes.

Don't touch me!
    I've had no problems with my Martas so far. The problems they listed are fairly easy to cure, except for the inconsistent lever feel (which I never have had). To move the caliper away, all you have to do is get your tabs faced (which should be done in the first place). I actually like the shim system, it isn't that difficult and once it's set, well... it's set.

I would also take any review by a general cycling rag with a grain of salt. The product they are reviewing is a light-weight hydro disc brake. Fluff adds weight. It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about its lack of storage space. It's not a grocery-getter. It does what it is designed to do.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

spotlust
    I have used Marta's for the last 18 months and have never experienced "inconsistent lever feel". These brakes have great stopping power and modulation, and are lightweight. Obviously at some point, you will eventually get a bit of lever travel, but that is true with all hydraulic brakes. You then just have to bleed them.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spam

Ive had the martas sl for the past three years. They have been great brakes. The shim adjustability is alittle anoying but it works. Modualation is great and power is very good. I have mine for sale. 175 plus shipping for the set. They are three years old but work great. Front rotor is slightly warped(those are less then a year old). Ive switched to the juicy 7. I was looking for alittle more power for my 30 lbs trailbike. Just installed them last night. have not had the chance to compare them. The juicy's were so easy to install. Ill update the comparison after a couple of rides.