Thread: Marta Problems

mtbr member

Marta Problems

I have a set of Magura Marta SL's, less than a year old. When they are working, the stopping power and modulation is awesome. I love the feel of the lever, and the aesthetics of the brake.

My biggest complaint with the brakes has been maintenance. So far in the spring/summer I have had to bleed the front brake 4 times. The rear brake never seemed to have any problems, only the front.

During that time I often wedged the bike upside down in the backseat of my car (so I didn't have to worry about locking it up when I went to eat) and I thought maybe that had something to do with it. Since then I stopped flipping it like that and I still seem to experience the same problem.

Now that the winter is here, my last two rides have been in cold weather (slightly below 0 degrees Celsius). About a week ago in a matter of minutes into my ride, both levers were touching the grips. That was the first time I ever had to bleed the rear brake.

Tonight I bled them again, and went out for my ride. Prior to the ride the lever action (after bleeding) was perfect. I put forth a lot of extra effort to ensure there were no air bubbles. Within an hour into the ride, again, both levers were touching the bars.

I don't know if its the cold or what? I have another set of Marta's that I have had for about a season and a half and used them in the cold, and that bike hangs outside in my shed vertically from a hook....and neither of those brakes have ever required bleeding.

Anyone have any suggestions???

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You just answered your own question. Magura Marta SL and inversion for ANY length of time = bleed & fill. It's just a fact of life, for those brakes. The choice is still YOURS....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    If you invert the bike with the Magura's you need to use rubber bands or straps to pull the levers towards the bar and keep them there while inverted. Bleed the brakes and you'll be just fine; secure the levers as required if you invert it again. Things will be fine! Make sure to follow bleed instructions to a 't' as they're among the more difficult ones to properly bleed it appears reading the forums.

pronounced may-duh
    I have martas and hang my bike on the wall with the front wheel up and the rear down. It's not completely inverted. I have inverted the bike when I took it in my minivan for some camping trips. I never have any problems with the brake levers touching the bars.

If when bleeding you get ALL the air out of the levers then I don't think you will have this problem. Follow the bleed directions very carefully. Before you screw done the caps on the leavers, Hold the cap on the leavers and use the syringe to push the oil up from the caliper. Make sure only oil is coming out from the leaver caps before installing and tightening the tiny screws on the cap.

mtbr member
    Followed the directions to a T but still have problems. I'll try again...maybe the last time.

I did the elastic band thing a couple times. It seemed to help. What boggles my mind is that my other set of Marta's has never been bleed and its always hanging vertical (without rubber bands). Never had a single issue with those yet.

Thats a good idea with the cap/screws, I'll have to try that.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Did you tip the calipers (especially the rear one) so the hose faces the top? They're a tricky brake to bleed but if done properly seem to be a run-them-and-forget-them deal.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ran the martas and store my bike inverted all the time. I only had to bleed the backs once after the first install. That bleed was because the lever was not returning fast enough. (The only time it went to the bar was when I over heated it)

Inverting the bike is how I knew the shop did the bleed well. I had to have the LBS rebleed the front right after the install.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

gone for a bike ride
    i'd switch your brake hoses from standard Magura to Goodridge thin wall. i upgraded my 07 Martas with them for better modulation + more responsive braking + better stopping power.

the night before i ride, after a pre flight check + lube, i invert my bike to let the fork oil lube the top of the fork sanctions.

...since the upgrade and regular inversion - i've not had any problems with the brakes or the forks.

ups and downs
    Check that the hose sleeve nut at the lever is tight. I've found that after shortening the hose and snugging the nut down, a few days later it was possible to get another 1/4 - 1/2 turn out of them, so I am assuming that the aluminium olive and hose deform under constant pressure from the sleeve nut and then can be tightened further, and that cleared up the need to rebleed repeatedly.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada