Thread: Marta/ Marta SL

MudMan
    Oct 2011

Marta/ Marta SL

Had a set of 07 Martas on my enduro, and the front master cylinder sprung a pretty good leak. So, once i found that you can't re-build a magura master cylinder, I turned to ebay.
    I bought a set of Marta SL off ebay without giving the forethought as to if the Marta and Marta SL would be compatible. I was hoping to use the SL master cylinder and the Marta 07 caliper. Does anyone have input on this combo? Am I wasting my time and money?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If they are of the same vintage it isn't a problem. The difference between the 2 models were graphics and a carbon lever on the SL.
    I'm pretty sure people have mixed and matched pre-2008 and post-2008 models as well, but I have not done so.

mtbr member
    Jst as an FYI, also contact Jude (judemonica) here on MTBR, he has helped me with tech documents before. He can also probably answer your question and give you a 100% answer.

Let us know how it turns out.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hi MudMan

You can use the different model year Marta's with no problem. The older pre'08 models are a little smaller in size and fluid capacity but the main master piston is the same size and will function perfectly.
    Jude

MudMan
    Oct 2011
    Rovertd, drbelle, Jude
    Thanks, for your comments they pumped me up to just jump in and do it. The SL master cylinder and Marta calipers went together just fine. The fittings were all standard, no issue there. When I had them all together I went to bleed, and found that there was a considerable amount of resistance pushing the Magura Blood through the system. With the caliper held open (pads removed), open syringe (no plunger) in the master cylinder, and full syringe threaded into the caliper, I had to push extremely hard to get the blood to flow through the system. When I went to pull the blood back through the system the force required was pulling mostly air back into my caliper syringe. I assumed that this was coming from the threaded fitting at the caliper connection. I made a trip down to see Bryan at the Slippery Pig one of the great bike shops here in Phoenix, where he told me that with the Marta SL you can adjust the lever reach all the way out and relieve a lot of that pressure. I got home to try this out and found that there was some change but not a lot. I decided that (please tell me if I am wrong) if I push two full syringe loads through the system, I can get away with not pulling the blood back and forth a couple times and still get the air out. It seems that I have good pressure, but the brakes are howling bad, and just wonít hook up. I think that I might have spoiled the pads in the 4 bleeds Iíve done in the last week. Any thoughts?

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Ok Mudman.

So the MC's master piston is slightly blocking the high pressure port and creating resistance to the fluid flow.
    While pushing and pulling at the caliper, slightly activate the lever blade a couple millimeters and you will feel the fluid move easily.

The trick I use when this happens is to use a toe strap on the lever blade to pull the blade inward those Few millimeters and hold it in that position while you bleed.

You will get it.

Let me known
    Jude