Thread: Marta hassles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marta hassles

After bleeding my Marta's which were pulling right to the bar unless you really pumped them, I raced with them and they were fine during the race, just like new. After the race the rear has developed some strange characteristics. When I pull the lever it comes back about 1/4 of the way and bites, and if I hold it or pump rapidly it's fine, but if I release enough for the wheel to turn and put pressure on the lever again it comes closer to the bar, after doing this 3 times the leaver is on the bar and the pads arren't touching the rotor at all! Is it air in the system or something else?

Bodhisattva

Time to bleed again...

Sounds like you still have air in the system. Sometimes after a bleed the trapped air is "hidden" and the brake feels right, but then the bubble dislodges and you start having problems.

Make sure you do a few things on the bleed:

1- get the caliper bolts as perfectly vertical as possible
    2- tap the caliper & line with a hammer several times in an attempt to dislodge any trapped bubbles
    3- do the push/pull bleed - bleed regularly from the back, then, with the syringe still attached, pull the brake lever a few times to flush fluid back through the system & up into the syringe. Keep filling the reservoir with more oil and do not let it run dry or you'll have to start all over. Then push fluid through again with the syringe and repeat above one last time for good measure.
    4- I velcro/tape the syringe to my workstand so as to keep in as vertical as possible. This keeps the fluid down & air up.

5- When close to done, place the reservoir cap back on top and hold it with your finger. Do not cover the screw or air hole. Push fluid through the sytem again so that any trapped bubble in the bladder get purged out. Then screw the cap back in to place.

6- Finally,when you think you're done, carefully place the pads back in the caliper and place the rotor between the pads. Push fluid through the system so that the pads contact the rotor. This ensures you'll have the maximum amount of fluid in the system. Remove the pads again and then remove the syringe while still pushing gently. Let a little oil overflow as the fitting disengages from the bleed hole and place the retaining screw back into place. Also, before you start be sure that the pads are pushed all the way back into the caliper.

That ought to do it for you. The extra few push/pull bleed steps pretty much guarantee that you won't have any air in the system and the extra 10 minutes of work is worth it.

Keep in the mind that severely worn pads can introduce air into the system so be sure to replace the pads when appropriate.

MCM #1211
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

Seeing as I don't have the bleed kit (I was going to sell the Marta's after getting MIni's but now prefer the Marta's) I got the shop to do the bleed for me. I will print out your instructions and pass them on. Thanks for the tips.

Bodhisattva

Ahhhh....There's your mistake.

No disrespect intended to the shop, but I'd plop down $25 for the bleed kit if I were you.

As Mike T., the Magura Cult head-honcho, like to point out, the best man for the job is you. The bleed process for every brake is different and very few mechanics are skilled enough to do them all properly. Plus, over the years I've read dozens of reports of shops performing incorrect bleeds, contaminating pads, etc.

Good luck.
    Life....the original terminal illness

A wheelist

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by happybiker
    Seeing as I don't have the bleed kit (I was going to sell the Marta's after getting MIni's but now prefer the Marta's) I got the shop to do the bleed for me. I will print out your instructions and pass them on. Thanks for the tips.
    An expert is not always the person with a shop apron, wrench in the hand and sign over the door. It's a person who has the necessary info stored upstairs in the ol' brain.

The first type of person is, unfortunately, a lot easier to find than the second type.

Squeak has had many conversations with the Magura boys and knows of what he speaks. When you've read the info he gave you, you're a lot better armed than most "mechanics" out there. Now all you need is the kit. That's the easy part.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the help guys, I usually do all my own maintainance on my Hopes but I've just never got into the Magura's, I guess I should buy the kit. Anyway, I dropped the bike off today and the shop said they would do that brake again, they are pretty clued up but if it doesn't come right I'll definately work it out for myself.

Back in Black
    After bleeding my Marta's which were pulling right to the bar unless you really pumped them, I raced with them and they were fine during the race, just like new. After the race the rear has developed some strange characteristics. When I pull the lever it comes back about 1/4 of the way and bites, and if I hold it or pump rapidly it's fine, but if I release enough for the wheel to turn and put pressure on the lever again it comes closer to the bar, after doing this 3 times the leaver is on the bar and the pads arren't touching the rotor at all! Is it air in the system or something else?
    That's the same "ratcheting" issue I had, except it happened to my front brake. 1/2" pull, 1/4" release, 1/2" pull, 1/4" release, etc, all the way to the bar. Let go completely and the lever is full again. After trying several bleeding techniques, Jimi @ Magura warrantied my whole resevoir. It seemed to fix the problem, but I still had other nuances and eventually sold the set. I'd recommend talking to Jimi, he's good at looking after Marta owners.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Brings back bad memories

I hated my Marta's. Ugh! You have air in the system. The good news is that Magura provides some of the best customer service on the planet. Give them a call. They are really not horrible to bleed.

Jaybo