mtbr member
    May 2010

Making the XTR brakes lighter.

So I just shaved 8 grams from my brakes plus made them look more sleek by replacing the bleed nipple, seal ring, and cap with the bleed screw. 8 grams is whatever but I really dig the new look. what do you think?

before and after:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making the XTR brakes lighter.-photo-brake.jpg  

Making the XTR brakes lighter.-photo-brake-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wouldn't that introduce air bubbles when you insert the bleed screw?

mtbr member
    ^ you can avoid that by holding the screw as the highest point on the caliper and injecting the MC at the same time as screwing it in - but it's tricky and now you've got a place for dirt to accumulate.

Sry we're not too enthusiastic about it. Maybe the weight weenies will give you more spirit. But it's a rear brake - not really that important. You can run a 140mm rotor.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ^ I did it to the front brake as well. i didn't really do it for the weight, more for the looks. i would run a 140 rotor but there isn't a 6 bolt ice tech out there.

as far as actually doing it, no problem at all. just make sure you retract the pads all the way before you take the nipple out. i didn't have to remove my brakes at all.

mtbr member
    I have to ask, what's the point?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    I have to ask, what's the point?
    LOL, same here, why?
    08 Ironhorse yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    08 Haro thread 8
    04 Giant simple cruiser

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The point is I like the way it looks. The bleed screw is included with the brakes so I thought I'd use it. That's all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I can't tell you how many times while riding my bike I look down at my bleeder screws

I'm sorry but...really? Next time start with washing your bike

mtbr member
    I could remove my rear brakes lever, caliper, seatpost and seat and use my ass to stop the bike and in doing so save nearly 2 pound!
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cityloopcycles View Post
    The point is I like the way it looks. The bleed screw is included with the brakes so I thought I'd use it. That's all.
    Ok cool, I can see that. Since you weighed the difference, I figured you were going for a weight loss trick, for a few grams it would not have been worth the trouble. Looks fine though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    I'm sorry but...really? Next time start with washing your bike
    Only time I wash bike is when I'm going to tear whole bike down for yearly maintenance/inspection.
    Really? Once a year cleaning?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did the same when I got mine installed, it's looks better and lighter I find. I'm aslo running a Avid CleanSweep X 140mm R and a 160mm F

mtbr member
    thats not just a screw, its a bleed valve, its there so you can bleed your system.

is there other way to bleed it without it?
    08 Ironhorse yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    08 Haro thread 8
    04 Giant simple cruiser

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Bleed screw? What you have there looks like a bog standard hex bolt. Bleeding's gonna be real messy and a royal pain if you don't have a way to collect all the fluid that comes out... Unless you carry a spare bleed nipple everywhere that is. Does look neat though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ^So I dont actually ever bleed my brakes trailside so I wouldnt need to carry a nipple around but it's easy actually, you just use this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...mall/24725.jpg to bleed the brake.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    why exactly do the brakes come with that little plug/bolt?

Is it used for something??

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Really? Once a year cleaning?
    You are taking my comments out of context.

But if you really must know, I never sit there and "wash my bike" except for a yearly 100% tear down. I do wipe it down with a damp rag once in a while however. My main goal is to ride. Not sure why you took the time to dig through my other postings to get that quote. I'm not sure if I should feel honored or file a restraining order

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You are taking my comments out of context.

But if you really must know, I never sit there and "wash my bike" except for a yearly 100% tear down. I do wipe it down with a damp rag once in a while however. My main goal is to ride. Not sure why you took the time to dig through my other postings to get that quote. I'm not sure if I should feel honored or file a restraining order
    Just don't be d-bag. Nothing I posted warranted a smart ass remark from you or anyone else. I don't care about your cleaning habits why point out others.

AZ
    banned
    Yep, just the look for pimpin down at the Qwicky Mart.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just don't be d-bag. Nothing I posted warranted a smart ass remark from you or anyone else.
    Hold on there city...you have your bleed screws too tight.
    what do you think?
    Why ask us what we think? (rhetorical)

Listen, I'm positive you are all excited about your disc brake mod and thats cool. However, if you post online asking others "what do you think?"....you can't expect everyone to go along with what ever you feed them or play pattycake. But seriously, relax and try not to taco yourself. Its all good

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hold on there city...you have your bleed screws too tight.
    that's funny. its cool though man. catch you at the next rave keep the opinions coming.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    thats not just a screw, its a bleed valve, its there so you can bleed your system.

is there other way to bleed it without it?
    It is, in fact, just a screw. the bleed nipple is there so you can bleed your system without using a different tool. the screw is there to plug it. there are two ways to bleed the system, when you're using the bleed nipple when you're using the bleed screw. check it out.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830710606.pdf

mtbr member
    I think it looks great. Next time, post this in the weight weenie forum to avoid all the insults. Definately more constructive criticism there for something like this. BTW, I'm gonna do this now.
    Now u just need to replace the caliper bolts with ti.