mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Making Hope minis stronger

Any ideas on getting any more power out of Hope mono mini brakes? I already use a 180mm rotor on the front and they are installed on a 29er hardtail. They modulate great so that isn't a problem.

not so super...
    what pads?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hope's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjs514
    Any ideas on getting any more power out of Hope mono mini brakes? I already use a 180mm rotor on the front and they are installed on a 29er hardtail. They modulate great so that isn't a problem.
    It's normal Mini? Change a lever from alu to carbon Mini Pro. It will help a bit.

...idios...
    It's normal Mini? Change a lever from alu to carbon Mini Pro. It will help a bit.
    How?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

g3h6o3
    Just go to 200mm rotors............
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    which hope pads?
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I just went to an m4 caliper but I've heard other people get good results with; ebc red pads or other 'high' friction pads, bigger rotors, and stainless brake lines.

ballbuster

Yeah... which pads?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by sjs514
    I ran Hope Sintered (semi-metalic) pads forever with my Hope Minis (2006 gold caps) and they worked great. I never understood what folks were complaining about. One day, I suddenly found I wore my pads down to the nubs, and could only find Hope organic pads (Like $20 a set, IIRC), so I put those in. Man, my braked sucked something awful, and I was constantly overheating them. I tried a different brand pads, also organic. They sucked just as much.

I finally broke down and popped for the Hope Sintered pads again (IIRC, they were like $29 a set at the LBS) and my brakes were back to normal greatness again.

I also ran some Kool Stop Sintered pads and those were also great, and a whole lot cheaper, like $14 a set. I don't think they make them anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They are the Hope Sintered (semi-metalic) pads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I put Galfer pads on my Mini's and that worked for me....

mtbr member
    I've got multiple sets of mono mini's on my bikes. On one the sintered pads are Awesome. On another they never developed the same kind of power and the organics worked better. if you don't like what you have, try the others.
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have an old set of mono mini that have done the same thing as the OP - they just seem to have died. I had some new pads put in, did a full flush out of fluid but to no avail....they were dead.
    It may be that new seals and o-rings would bring back some semblance of life, but brake technology has moved on and the weight/power of new brakes has left the old ones for dead.

OP - if you have some spare $ then look for deals on 2009 brakes IMO
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Quote:It's normal Mini? Change a lever from alu to carbon Mini Pro. It will help a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    How?
    1. Better leverage gives more power. 2. Better lever shape.

Friend of mine tested this. Before that change he was not so happy with old minis. He only changed a levers. Before he tray a 180 mm disc at front but with partial effect.
    Last edited by Bikeon; 07-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.