jbf
    mtbr member

Maguras - Do I have to face my frame/fork?

I have been using Avid BB7's for years but I just got a great deal on a pair of Magura Louise FR (IS mount). I notice from reading this forum that Magura's shim based mounting system is much more sensitive to disk tab alignment on the frame and fork. Since the facing tool is expensive and I cannot locate a shop in my area that can do this for me, I am thinking of trying the install as is, without facing the tabs.

My question is: How many Magura users have been happy with their brakes WITHOUT facing the IS mounts?

Meh.
    You can try and install as is. And it will probably work tolerably (unless your tabs are WAY out of alignment). But it will work better if the tabs are faced. Call around a few more places and see if anybody has a facing tool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I installed un-faced on my epic and had no problems. EVER. Magura's alignment process is pretty straight forward. No complaints until I swapped the brakes to a Scott Scale 30 and now have just a tiny brake rub. Overall easy enough in my experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    No issues installing on an Epic, Turner Flus and Rocky Vertex without facing. But I wish I could have bought the Magura facing tool as I really needed it but my wife said no way.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No issues installing Louise BATs on a Rocky Mtn SXC without facing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    I have been using Avid BB7's for years but I just got a great deal on a pair of Magura Louise FR (IS mount). I notice from reading this forum that Magura's shim based mounting system is much more sensitive to disk tab alignment on the frame and fork. Since the facing tool is expensive and I cannot locate a shop in my area that can do this for me, I am thinking of trying the install as is, without facing the tabs.

My question is: How many Magura users have been happy with their brakes WITHOUT facing the IS mounts?
    i had those brakes for about 2 years. mine were very finicky, mostly because the pistons were sticky. if yours are new, you wont have that problem. i had it on: heckler, scirocco, 2 different pikes, surly karate monkey rigid fork.
    the rear was good on the heckler, but sometimes made noise on the scirocco.
    the front was good on both pikes, but screamed badly on the km, before i had it faced.
    the things that got me to sell them and buy the new louises, are the retelling lever blades, and the endless hassle with alignment. although i cant say how much of it was because of the is mount, and how much was because of the sticky pistons.
    leaving the noise and drag aside, those brakes are great. decent power and plenty of modulation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Like Will said...

it'll likely work tolerably well without facing. But you never know. It doesn't take much to misalign the tabs. A little extra paint on one of the tabs can cause no end of problems. But it isn't like it used to be back when disc brakes first started to gain popularity. I think most manufacturers are paying more attention to disc tabs than they did back then. Anyway, you can give it a try. If it works out you're golden. If you do have problems with alignment then the only solution will be to face the tabs.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"