We get titles?

Magura's .5mm of clearance

In a recent post, Jimi from Magura said this:

"Remember our caliper are designed to retract 0.5 mm on each side which is a very small amount, but plenty of room to get them set up with no rub."

To which ToddM replied:

"I wonder if that 0.5mm of clearance is just not enough to keep consistant rub free operation. I don't know how that number compares to other companies disc clearances. However I can say that while my maguras perform great, and were easier to set up and bleed than a couple other discs I've set up, they require a lot of micro-adjusting."

OK, back to my own experience.
    Although I had a few problems with my '00 Claras (some admittadly my fault), the issue of clearance was the one I kept coming back to. And after reading dozens of reviews and posts on the subject, my opinion has always been that it is too difficult for the average competent wrench to set up magura brakes to work properly.

I'd like to see somebody answer this question. Is .5mm per side enough clearance? How does it compare to other manufacturers brakes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's about the same as Shimano XT/XTR

My Shimano XT's might actually run a bit _CLOSER_ if you can believe it. One of my beefs w/ the Shimano was always how close the pads run to the rotors. The Magura seems to be about the same or perhaps a hair wider. My friends XTR's seem to be about the same as my XT's and my other friends Hayes look to have a bit more room. From what I've seen the Hayes "might" be easier to get running drag free, but I hate the feel of them.

Dave

"El Whatever"

Yup... sounds like enough....

For instance, Deore Mechanicals have to have the outer pad adjusted with a 0.2mm gauge.
    Check my Site

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    my opinion has always been that it is too difficult for the average competent wrench to set up magura brakes to work properly.
    Not true. I'm living proof of that.

Last night I rode a friend's bike with XTR brakes and I noticed his pads were closer to the rotor than my Loiuise FR. BTW, I did not like the feel of XTR discos one bit. Felt like the rotor was sliding through two pieces of sandpaper.

Again, do you know the microadjust technique? I find that it solves the majority of subtle rotor rub issues.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Hayes run closer and to me, are a more of a pain to set up and deal with

ballbuster

Dang, 0.5mm is not a lot of room....

... to allow for a flexy rear triangle like I got on my K2 Razorback SL. I got a dual piston Clara on there now, and it rubs a tad when hammering in turns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Clearances are pretty tight

Just to nail it down a bit, the clearance range I was given for the 04 Louise/FR was 0.5mm total (adding up both sides), +/- 0.3mm, or about 0.3mm per side typically. That fits pretty well with the pics posted on the Magura site (as part of the instructions on using their facing tool) and my personal experience, whatever that's worth.

The rotors are supposed to be flat to 0.2mm or better out of the box, which means the system has worst case zero clearance when centered. That's probably not typical.

My experience to date has been that I can true my rotors to better than 0.5mm of runout, but when they warm up they move around enough to rub. Sometimes they will only rub on an uphill or when turning, so there's some movement going on there too.

I get asked to true up the rotors of friends with '04 XT and XTR brakes, some of those have a bit more clearance than I do, some less. Usually the rotors look to have about 1mm of runout before it starts bugging them. Tweaked rotors are unavoidable due to get-offs, rocks kicked up, and the like, IMHO.

I don't have access to a set of Hayes right now, the comment on lever feel vs. clearance would make sense if the piston size ratio trades lever feel for more clearance.

For me, a little bit of rub is the lesser of two evils -- in technical sections, hydraulic disks really help me out.

The only time it bugs me is if it's wet, and I'm going uphill, and there's this "squeak, squeak, squeak" going on (hey, that reminds me of something), it's like the Chinese water torture. The best fix for that I find is to ride with someone who didn't lube their chain, then you don't notice it.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I guess that's why Magura is known for rubbing pads.
    Oh really?
    Thanks for the chuckle.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Yes. I worked in a shop, too. I saw it first hand.

The fact of the matter is the manner Jimi at Magura posted here is disgusting and unprofessional and I would not deal with a company based on how he spoke.
    You ain't the only one who has turned a wrench in his day and the newer products are certainly easier to setup & adjust than the older stuff. I've owned & worked on both types.

In the areas I've lived Magura has been known for great products & service.

Your experience obviously differs.

Steve, you're obviously a bright guy. Don't get dragged down in name calling & dragging someone through the mud based on a single experience that you read here or your experience with a product that is at least 2 generations past current.
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of people with any successfully sold product are happy and rarely are their voices heard because they are satisfied. The unsatisfied usually do the vocalizing. I know you had a heard time with the single piston Louise, but many, including myself, didn't and they are now 2 generations past.
    Please keep this in mind also as you embark on your medical career. Almost every day I see patients who complain about the care they were given by another physician when in reality the other physician did a fine job. I used to get dragged down in those types of things but have learned to not read a book by its cover.
    And in case you think I'm making this a personal issue, well, I'm not. My intentions truly are only benevolent. If they weren't then I wouldn't spend so much of my time helping people here and in my professional life (which is about to get real busier and I expect my posting will drop dramatically).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    anyone know the clearance on avid mechs?

"El Whatever"
    I might be wrong but it's not specified. Avid just indicates pad clearance to outer pad / inner pad is 1/3 - 2/3 of the distance. Here is not so important because you decide how much pad clearance you want depending on how much lever throw you want. They just indicate the relationship for the brake to work with enough power and modulation. Bringing your inner pad to the rotor gives you that "ON-OFF" feel. The rotor gradually pushed into the inner pad is what gives modulation here.

Should not be so different for the Juicys as you can adjust how much the lever will move to engage the brake (I guess actually this adjustment moves the pads closer or away from the rotor, but I might be wrong on this).
    Check my Site