mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Magura vs Shimano (ever been done before ?)

Hi,

I'm mostly interesting in the power and modulation differences between Magura and Shimano. Both are known for their brakes, both use mineral fluid, and they are both pretty sexy. But in terms of power (Saint, in particular) of Shimano vs the power of Magura (Marta), how do they compare?
    Riding and loving it

Meh.
    Saint vs Marta? You're comparing apples and oranges. The brakes have completely different intended purposes. The Saint wins.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok, thanks. That's all I needed to know
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    a more appropriate match would be marta sl vs xt/xtr, or a saint vs gustav

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    but saint and XT are the same brake...

Meh.
    I'd say Marta vs XTR and Saint vs Louise. Gustav is way out there, probably closest to the 4 pot XT brakes..

Captain Underpants
    XSL is correct, two diff. brakes. apples vs oranges.

In an attempt to answer your queston, I ran XTR's for a while before switching to Louise FR's. The XTR's had better modulation, and were silky smooth--I just loved the way they felt, and felt that I had lots of control over how much stopping power I was going to apply. In contrast, the Louises don't quite have the smoothness of the Shimano's but they do have more raw stopping power (in spades). I can stop anywhere, anytime, on a dime. I think they are both awesome brake sets, and you can't go wrong with either brand.

On a strictly flatland bike, I'd go with Shimanos. If you ride a lot of hills, perhaps the Louises would have the edge.

PS: I think you can still get Louises for stupid cheap on ebay . . . .

MTBR Demi-God
    Saint is designed for All Mountain use, whereas Martas are for XCs. I have Marta SLs, XTs, and LXs. Personally, if I had to choose only one, I would choose the Martas. But this is not to say that XT and LX are crap. If they are used for what they are intended, the difference between them and Martas are insignificant.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I'd say Marta vs XTR and Saint vs Louise. Gustav is way out there, probably closest to the 4 pot XT brakes..
    As stated, XT and Saint are the same animal. Just different color. It comes down to rotor size. XT will kick the Marta's inconsistant butt every day and twice on Sunday.

Jaybo

Photog Cyclist.
    How r the Maguras vs the Shimanos for bleeding. I have heard that the Maguras are lots harder.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    As stated, XT and Saint are the same animal. Just different color. It comes down to rotor size. XT will kick the Marta's inconsistant butt every day and twice on Sunday.

Jaybo
    I said XTR Not XT. XTR and Saint/XT are completely different animals. That's why I made the comparison I did.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Saint and Marta are not that different

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I said XTR Not XT. XTR and Saint/XT are completely different animals. That's why I made the comparison I did.
    In purpose but not in functionality. Rotor size is the key.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, if you get bleeding once, its not likely you'll ever have to do it again due to the properties of mineral oil.

I was pretty sure that XT and Saint were the same calipers, and I thought the Louise were XC brake but clearly I'm wrong. When I compare the weight, the Maguras are about 60-100g lighter, but I'm wondering if this will make a large difference. I guess I'm really interested in weight to power ratio, and I've heard some pretty bad things about XTR power (like comparable to Hayes HFX-9 power).

How would you compare monobody to bolted or welded body?
    Riding and loving it

Meh.
    HFX-9 have okay power, but no modulation. And the durability is terrible.

Old XTR is hit or miss. Works great for some people, terrible for others. Worked terrible for my boss. We tried all sorts of things to improve power, but really, we were more concerned about the brakes not honking. In my experience, XTR does not have the same kind of power as XT/Saint.