mtbr member

Magura Ventidisc 160 Rotor or Standard 180 Rotor?

Ok so my search is still on for the 2009 Magura Marta brakes. I also like the Formula R1 (not in production yet). If I find the Marta's, I like the Magura Ventidisc rotors. My understanding of rotor size is that the larger rotor cools faster, so does that mean if I go with a smaller rotor (Ventidisc 160 vs. standard 180) that is a self cooling rotor I should get the same performance as a 180?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    maybe, but don't start 3 new threads, just start one with 3 quesitons.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Someone must have an opinion on this?
    My Mojo http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=477532

When only the finest will do... www.iClique.com

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    Someone must have an opinion on this?
    I've got one. It may cool better, but it's still a 160, not as much stopping power as a 180.

banned
    The venti rotor is something I posted about in another thread you are in.

2009 Marta SL (RED) Unavailable... Any suggestions on brakes?

What has to be pointed out about Maggie's "Vented" rotors is that they aren't really vented. I don't know how people got the idea they were vented, when their mere appearance points otherwise. Basically, that fan shape in the hub carrier is non-functional. What can it do beyond the air through which the disc is traveling in when the bike is in motion?

For the record, the only company in mtb running true vented rotors are Hope, on the V2.

The other thing I find off about those maggie two piece rotors is that they are heavy, and the brake track is pinned to the hub carrier. Perhaps it's good for heat transfer, but Hope rotors have a gap of 1-2mm between the brake track and carrier to add some extra resistance to warping as the brake track expands. I don't know if the hub carrier really sucks more heat out, but I noted some of the webbing in the carrier was hot on long runs down.
    And the disclaimer: I like Maggie rotors a lot. They are quite good in quality and function. I still have a 180 wavy Louise and hope to use it again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    a larger rotor produces more leverage, which equates to more stopping power (excluding available traction from consideration). i suppose it does also provide a larger heat sink, but i think this is a (far) secondary consideration.

reading all your threads...why are you seeking max heat tolerance in an ultralight xc brake? the rest of your build spec (including the frame) is way undersized for any application that will require the brake characteristics you're asking about.

get the marta sl's with the maggie rotors. ride more. geek out less.
    Last edited by dookie; 12-07-2008 at 03:45 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    iClique, don't get the Marta SL brakes if you plan on seriously heating them up. You need a more DH/FR-related brakeset, if that is the case. I know you are a weight weenie like myself.....but get real. Just lookin out....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    The venti discs are quite a bit heavier than the normal wavy rotors in the same size. I agree; if you're going to use the SL's then they shouldn't need a huge rotor if they're being used as intended. They're an XC brake system; not an AM or DH setup.