The Brutally Handsome

Magura Rim Brake Questions

So, I have a set of Magura HS22's and a heavy Big Dummy cargo bike. Even though the frame can run disc brakes, I have neither disc hubs, calipers, nor the money to buy them. So, I was thinking about running these old maguras. Here's my questions:

Do I need to use a booster? I've heard of people bending and breaking frames, but the boosters I have won't fit over my balloon tires. So would I have to order some larger ones or can I go sans booster?

Can I expect more braking power than I get from my XT V brakes? Unweighted, the dummy weighs 55lbs and with cargo and rider, I can easily push 300-400lbs. Right now, the V's aren't cutting it, so I need to do something.

Are these so completely obsolete that I should just forget about it and save my pennies for some disc brakes?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info!

mtbr member
    Why not put em on and try?

I've got hs22's or 33's on 2 bikes. I run 1 bike without the booster, and one with. Without the booster you can watch the fork and seat stay flex. It does compromise ultimate power.
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

The Brutally Handsome
    Thanks fervor! I really wanted some opinions before installing since I have to make the lines, bleed them . . . so I wanted to see if it's even worth the effort. However, I must say that the lack of interest in this thread is a clear indication that they are obsolete, and that I might be wasting my time. Either way, I picked up some oversized boosters of the bay so I can get started!

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello Sizzler

Now before you give up on those old HS-series brakes, know this.
    Magura manufactures and sells over 300,000 of those brakes every year and you see them prominently on trekking and "panniered" bikes all over Europe.

Hopefully that answers some of your concerns about ability and reliability and neither are a factor!

The most difficult part of those brakes is the install as they are infinitely adjustable and configurable so you can spend some time fiddling and perfecting their initial set up. After that however, they will never need anything more than a pad change every several years.

If it weren't for Disc brakes superior performance in the wet, these brakes would be the benchmark for all others!
    Jude

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    A Big Dummy as in a surly? No way you're breaking that frame with HS22s.

The Brutally Handsome
    I figured there was nothing to worry about considering the size of the tubing. I suppose if something were to give, it would likely be the canti bosses. I'm going to get started setting them up and post some pictures as I go!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i used to run magura hs22s before switching to discs. i always ran them without brake boosters and never bent a frame or fork. Ran them on a ti hardtail and ellsworth truth. Never felt the need for boosters as they were pretty strong without.

The Brutally Handsome
    I set up the front, but wasn't too impressed with the performance. I probably need to adjust them a bit more. The back is a bit more complicated because I need to remove all the xtracycle junk and the hydraulic line needs to be a lot longer, like tandem length!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magura Rim Brake Questions-magura-dummy.jpg  

Magura Rim Brake Questions-magura-dummy-duce.jpg  

The Brutally Handsome
    Quick update: after installing the rear brake and making some adjustments, I have to say that these things are awesome! I would say braking power is second only to hydro discs, but much easier to set up!

mtbr member

HS33's the primo brake for us trials guys.

Jun 2004
    Hey thanks for the update, remember you will have an option of pad compounds still available for those things. Any shop that deals with BTI can get anything from us.

red - soft
    green - wet
    grey - ceramic rim compatible
    black - endurance

A set of four rim brake pads cost about the same as a set of two disc brake pads.

Enjoy
    Jude

Jun 2004
    Beauty!
    Jude

The Brutally Handsome
    Here's a picture of my loaded Big Dummy on my morning commute. I live up in the hills and had unbelievable stopping power riding downhill. Very pleased! BTW, thanks for the pad explanation, I need to pick up some green ones for this pacific northwest weather!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magura Rim Brake Questions-photo-1.jpg  

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by literocola

HS33's the primo brake for us trials guys.
    Nice SS pepsi; and what wheels are those?