mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Magura recalls MT6 and MT8 disc brakes

Check your S/N's!

Click here!

During the course of product observation, MAGURA has detected that there are faults in part of a production batch of the disc brakes MT6 and MT8 what possibly could be a risk for the cyclist.

In order to avoid any risks, MAGURA will replace the affected brake levers. We urgently recommend that you refrain from further use of this products.

MAGURA disc brakes MT4 and MT2 are not affected!
    Last edited by cornice6; 03-06-2013 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the recall post! I'll be checking mine as soon as I get home!

Twin Six METAL Team

Both of my race bikes are affected...and my season starts in just over 3 weeks. Hoping for a quick turnaround!

mtbr member
    Well this is a bummer, but props to Magura for putting out the recall. Registered my brakes.

Twin Six METAL Team

I FedEx'd my MT8's off to Magura yesterday. They are saying a 2 day turnaround, so I hope to be back up and running (well riding) by next weekend...or early the following week! In the meantime, I'll be getting reacquainted with my singlespeed! 👍

mtbr member
    I'm mailing mine from Argentina and I want to make sure I got the correct address. Is this it?

MAGURA USA - Recall MT
    Reference: MT-Service
    724 W Clem St
    Olney, IL 62450-4737
    United States

The address in their confirmation email was incomplete (missing the state) and not in the US format.
    Last edited by sfer1; 03-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for posting this. My bike is at dealer getting forks serviced under warranty issue, so I will check these serial numbers and just have them send them out.

Twin Six METAL Team

Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    I'm mailing mine from Argentina and I want to make sure I got the correct address. Is this it?

MAGURA USA - Recall MT
    Reference: MT-Service
    724 W Clem St
    Olney, IL 62450-4737
    United States

The address in their confirmation email was incomplete (missing the state) and not in the US format.
    Yep! That's the address I sent mine to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I sent one of mine to Magura USA at the above posted address. However, I went to magura.com and registered both my recalled brakes first choosing to ship it directly to Magura myself. I then called Magura USA and was given an RA# after they asked for my confirmation numbers from the online registry and was told to clearly indicate this outside the shipping box. I was also advised to ship one brake at a time as they do not have a turn around time at this point and I can at least use one set of brakes while waiting.

Now I'm wondering if I should even use these brakes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    I sent one of mine to Magura USA at the above posted address. However, I went to magura.com and registered both my recalled brakes first choosing to ship it directly to Magura myself. I then called Magura USA and was given an RA# after they asked for my confirmation numbers from the online registry and was told to clearly indicate this outside the shipping box. I was also advised to ship one brake at a time as they do not have a turn around time at this point and I can at least use one set of brakes while waiting.

Now I'm wondering if I should even use these brakes!
    Well, by reading the actual press release.....

"During the course of our constant product observation process, MAGURA has detected a potential fault source in part of a production batch affecting our disc brake range MT6 and MT8. The fault could potentially pose a risk to the user.
    As a result we recommend that you stop using these products with immediate effect. In the few cases where we have experienced this fault it is apparent that a loss of brake pressure can occur when the brake is exposed to very cold temperatures. The safety of our customers is our primary concern and any potential risk to the user due to quality issues, as in this case, leads to an immediate corrective action."

My guess is if you are not riding in cold temps (below freezing) you are probably ok to use one set of them, then warranty the other set.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the replacement parts are? Hoping they can get them to the LBS I indicated on the registration process quickly. I have a race in two weeks and don't want to cut the repair close. Wish they would just ship me the parts as I hate letting other people work on my bikes. I see their reasoning though. Too bad as I just got a sweet bleed on these brakes after a couple attempts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Straight from Magura's recall page: "MAGURA is replacing the brake levers of the models MT6 and MT8!"

mtbr member
    LBS said it was a kit that comes. It includes new pads BTW. The lever isn't the problem component. It is part of the master cylinder.

Side note...it as been two weeks and the LBS has heard jack from Magura. Looks like I am racing on the brakes without the repair.

mtbr member
    I think that Magura sent out the Master cylinders that they had on the shelf, and now probably are waiting to get more via Europe to backfill what they are short on. You can call Magura USA and talk to Kent to either confirm or see what the status is. This may be unfortunate, yet I am sure they are doing their best to handle the recall.

mtbr member
    Got my kit in, the master cylinder seems to be from a new or modified mold, as the 1nm warning for the bleed olive is not to be found. The lever adjustment screw is steel now, I believe my old ones were anodized aluminum. The scheme is different, as the "six" has been omitted from the lever, and a big M is now found on the side of the MC body. The clamp is composite instead of alloy. The kit came with the RMA for return, bleed kit and spare pads. I will post more once swapped out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magura recalls MT6 and MT8 disc brakes-imag2920.jpg  

Last edited by drbelleville; 03-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got my MT6 back from Magura after 21 days. In addition to the replaced parts, they gave me a new set of pads and left the pads that was on there since it was still about 90% new. They also bled the whole system. I installed it and it is good to go. I sent my other MT6 set and one MT8 back today.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Well, by reading the actual press release.....

My guess is if you are not riding in cold temps (below freezing) you are probably ok to use one set of them, then warranty the other set.
    I would not mess around and get the replacements... a riding crony of mine experienced this failure back in February (the temperature was ~40 deg. F). He is very lucky that he didn't George of the Jungle himself... both front and rear brakes failed simultaneously the first couple of minutes into a ride when he was going down a hill.

mtbr member
    I just got my MT6 brakes back from Magura after 3weeks. I received also new pads for both brakes, which was nice surprise.
    Overall this warranty recall was handled pretty good from my point of view.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    Got my kit in, the master cylinder seems to be from a new or modified mold, as the 1nm warning for the bleed olive is not to be found. The lever adjustment screw is steel now, I believe my old ones were anodized aluminum. The scheme is different, as the "six" has been omitted from the lever, and a big M is now found on the side of the MC body. The clamp is composite instead of alloy. The kit came with the RMA for return, bleed kit and spare pads. I will post more once swapped out.
    just wondering how you got the kit instead of sending them in? I just realized I have 3 sets of MT8's effected as well as 1 set of MT6. Don't want to send them in all at once and be without a bike for weeks.

mtbr member
    Whew...just checked mine and they weren't affected by the recall.