mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Magura Pad Life MT Series

I replaced the Marta's on my Stumpy in June 2012 with Magura MT8's. Recently, I have noticed more lever travel than normal (even when brand new, there was more than I would like), so today I pulled the pads and noticed by pads are DONE. I weight 220, and ride a really light bike, but I do ride more all mountain stuff, not just XC. The Magura's have been very easy to modulate, and have good power even with my substantial mass. I use the Magura Storm SL 180 mm rotors up front, and 160 Storm SL in the rear.

While I get that I am a big guy and all, I was not expecting these brake pads to last only 4 months. I have 395 miles on these MT8's and just over 25,000' of elevation gain and drop validated by my Garmin using the correct date ranges. Does this sound plausible that brakes would only last 4.3 months? I ordered new Magura pads today for front and back, and I have VERY little pad left, enough to last till I get the new pads in a few days. Any thoughts on this? I went with the performance pads, but in hindsight I should order the other "endurance" pads instead. I'm also considering a new 203 mm front Storm SL rotor and PM adapter too. At 28 bucks for each set of pads, they are not cheap. Heck at this rate, that's $56 bucks 3 times a year.
    Last edited by trmn8er; 10-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Try Kool Stop, or even if they they make them....SwissStop pads. SwissStop's hybrid ceramic/kevlar/brass/resin pads easily outlasted Magura's sintered Endurance pads 2:1, on my Marta SLs.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

official eMpTyBRain
    How steep and how long are your downhill runs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have been using SL Mags for a few years and started using goodrich semi metallic pads or full sintered (even though Magura say not to) I found all the Magura pads wore out very quickly, I weigh in at about 150lb + a 20lb Epic

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    How steep and how long are your downhill runs?
    Guys, thanks for the responses...

ambassadorhawg, some are quite steep and long. For example, I rode Cannell Trail, and had over 8,000' drop in one day. Usually, I ride SART or Wrightwood, and typically get in 1,500' rise and drop in a day. Last week did SART and climbed over 2,500', so yea, I do some long drops from time to time. Cannell was insane in it's drop, and had to be hard on the pads. Your thoughts?

official eMpTyBRain
    A little off topic here but I have found a noticable increase in pad wear stopping the 29" wheels compared to stopping the 26" wheels with the same brake system (2010 Marta SL).

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Guys, thanks for the responses...

ambassadorhawg, some are quite steep and long. For example, I rode Cannell Trail, and had over 8,000' drop in one day. Usually, I ride SART or Wrightwood, and typically get in 1,500' rise and drop in a day. Last week did SART and climbed over 2,500', so yea, I do some long drops from time to time. Cannell was insane in it's drop, and had to be hard on the pads. Your thoughts?
    In that case and considering your size, I'm not at all surprised by the short life your pads have. That's a bit disappointing but I gotta think that there are other brands out there that will last longer, just as others have already suggested.

mtbr member
    I took about half a pad's thickness off a new set of Magura's on a recent trip to Fruita and Moab with just 5 days of riding. Long steep descents will do that. Then I raced the VT50 in the rain and almost finished them off.

If you're like most riders, your rear pads will wear quicker than your front. Maybe try the performance on the front and the endurance on the rear? I've also tried KoolStop with my MT8's and they provided great stopping power. I didn't have them on long enough to get a feel for their longevity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dirtyjack why did you remove the Koolstops early?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Dirtyjack why did you remove the Koolstops early?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    It was back when the MT8's had first come out, and they were still refining the pad compounds, and mine weren't stopping well after bedding them in. I had mounted the KS's, but Magura sent me a new set to try, and they worked a lot better. I'm now using up the KS's (just mounted them last night on the front and bedded them in today), so I'll have a chance to see how long they last.