mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Magura MT8 - Stopping Power

I've been using MT8 for the last 3 months and I'm unsatisfied with it's rear brake stopping power. It's very weak compared to the XTR I used before... sometimes on steep descents I even have the feeling I have no rear brakes at all.

Is there something I can do about it? Any dial or set up?
    (apart from try different and larger discs, which I already did...)

mtbr member
    You probably already know this, but like most brake related questions re "stopping power", are you sure it's not just a higher degree of modulation?
    Sometimes I've adjusted the front so that it won't "lock up" on loose (gravel) and when on hard pack it "feels" like there's not enough power. Just because you can't easily "lock up" doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

mtbr member

Magura MT8 - Stopping Power

Did you bed them in properly? The MT8's are great brakes, but they need to be bedded properly or they can underperform.

mtbr member
    I can lock up my 29" wheels anytime I want with my MT8's. When I first switched from XT's to these they felt weak but I later discovered that they just have better modulation vs on or off like the Xt's have.

mtbr member
    So the front brake has enough stopping power, but the rear does not?

Same sized rotors?

If you take the pads from the back and put them into the front, are the fronts now weak, or does it stay weak at the rear?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I can lock up my 29" wheels anytime I want with my MT8's. When I first switched from XT's to these they felt weak but I later discovered that they just have better modulation vs on or off like the Xt's have.
    +1

or you probably got some oil or something on the pads/rotor ..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The first set of pads already gone and now I'm using the second set. And since I already rode more than 1000 Km with the bike (including 2 marathons e 1 xco race), I don't think it's a bedding issue. My bike (F29 Ultimate) came with Magura Rotors 160/140 which I replaced for Sram XX 160/160. I noticed a little improvement but it's stopping power stills not there.
    Front brake acts as expected. Of course I can't lock it on steep descent at 60km/h to compare it with the rear one. But for normal front brake use, it's great.

Is there an adjustment I can do to reduce the modulation and make it lock earlier?

On the lever, are u guy using only one finger, two or all of them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Magura MT8 - Stopping Power

Seems odd. I weigh 226, and my MT8 brakes stop me like right now. I use a 203 180 setup and ride AM steep descents an never lack power, even on extended descents. My pads even last a long time, but I try not to brake too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eduluke View Post
    My bike (F29 Ultimate) came with Magura Rotors 160/140 which I replaced for Sram XX 160/160.
    Is there an adjustment I can do to reduce the modulation and make it lock earlier?

On the lever, are u guy using only one finger, two or all of them?
    Did you replace your rotors with SRAM XX rotors? If that is the case those are too thin and will increase your lever travel due to the fact the piston has to travel more to get to the Disc! Maguras are about 2mm in thickness, and I think its a bit odd that Cannondale spec'd such a relatively small rotor for the rear ??? Talk with Jude here on MTBR, I am not sure yet he may know of other Cannondale owners through the dealer network that may have had similar issues.

But I can tell you now, that you should only be running Magura Rotors as no other brand carries the same spec.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hey Eduluke

Sorry you are having rear brake hassles!

So I assume you have a friction issue since you don't mention anything about the lever feel being bad or squishy, mushy etc.
    So we should be able to narrow down the potential problem. There may be an alignment issue so the pad and rotor aren't interfacing very well. This isn't uncommon really and either takes time to wear the pads into rotor face OR machine the mounting tabs.

Did you ever have a good friction rear brake and did this just start being a problem?
    Reason I ask is because you mentioned having quite some time on the bike with Marathon races and such so I wonder if the pads were worn into shape and working good prior to changing the pads. This would make sense.

In addition, you will get better friction from the Magura rotors, with either the Storms or Storm SL's. Reason being they are thicker and able to handle more abuse. The SL rotors are more agressive and would give more intitial bite also and/but wear pads quicker.

So let me know more info and hopefully we can make some progress.

Also, remove the pads and let me know what version they are. There will be some numbers stamped on the steel back plates of the pads, 7.1 performance, 7.2 endurance or 7.3 super endurance.
    Jude

Nor­wegr
    I had some issues with my MTs not feeling 'right' when it came to stopping power, my set had come with aligator discs and after some reading online I found that they were too thin for the Magura caliper, after swapping to Storm SLs the problems went away instantly as they are thicker.

(I know others has touched this topic, but another person reaffirming it doesn't hurt)