mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Magura MT8 levers - newer version?

Can anyone confirm if these levers are the newer (post recall) versions? Lever clamp and reservoir top look different to pics of 2012 MT8s I can find on the interwebs.

Lever body:

Clamp:

MTBR Member
    Those are post-recall.

Dissolved member
    The clamp is not MT-8. When replacing the master cylinder, the Magura techs use this (MT-2, I believe) clamp when bleeding the brake. The MT-8 clamp is made of carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The clamp seems to be made from the same stuff as the bodies (carbotecture?). It weighs 2g and the alu clamp off my MTS brake weighs 4g. Are you sure they have not improved the clamp as well? The original version looks pretty minimalist/flexy.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The clamp is not MT-8. When replacing the master cylinder, the Magura techs use this (MT-2, I believe) clamp when bleeding the brake. The MT-8 clamp is made of carbon.
    Those are the clamps that Magura has been sending out with the recalled MT8's.

I got those as well, but I'm still using the original clamps since I haven't had an issue with them. Assuming some people have probably cracked the original clamp, so they made a switch.

Dissolved member

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Yes, we are aware they are different -- I have both of them. Magura is sending out the solid clamps with recalled MT8 brakes. It's possible that they are also sending those out with the new sets of MT8's.

Solid clamp weighs 3.0 grams, original clamp weighs 2.0g.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello All

The idea was to send out a less costly MC back clamp and have the consumer or shop swap the old carbon clamp to the new replacement MC.
    This was just an attempt to control the costs as the carbon clamp is an expensive part of the components for the brake MC.

I have with no lock so far tried to upload, drag and drop, copy etc a good photo of an MC with a "punch mark" where the hydro line enters the master. This punch mark designates a recall replacement MC.
    This is only necessary if you suspect the MC has already been replaced because the original was to tell was from the production dates etched on the caliper near the bleed port.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is the punch mark molded in or is it a mark made into the old caliper to show that it has been fixed?

Jun 2004
    For some reason I cannot attach the photo. If you would like to email me at jude@magurausa.com I will attach the photo showing the punch mark and you can post it if you like.
    Jude

Happy Trails
    Is this the cold temperature loss of braking power issue form last year, or something different? I experienced a failure on my MT8s (cracked MC, posted today separately) and wonder if related to this recall or not. THanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here's the pic of the punch mark from Jude. Cheers Jude/Magura:

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So do all new MT8 levers have the punch mark or only ones that have been sent back and replaced?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The new "post recall" master cylinder has the Magura logo on the inside like in your first Pic.

MTBR Member
    Can the post-recall brakes not be identified by the circle cutouts on the inside of the clamp?

On my original set(pre-recall), the red material on the inside of the clamp was solid...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    The new "post recall" master cylinder has the Magura logo on the inside like in your first Pic.
    They all had that logo from day one. However, the first generation only had a single weep hole over the membrane, and "MT" on both top and bottom of the MC near the piston. The second generation have "MT" on one side and "Eight" on the other, (along with 10 weep holes) but you still need to look for the punch hole to determine if it's pre- or post-recall.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    They all had that logo from day one.
    I got my set when they were first available and in my photo you can see it does not have that logo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I got my set when they were first available and in my photo you can see it does not have that logo.
    Just noticed that in the background. Mine definitely had it. So I guess there's a few variations out there.

Jun 2004
    The multi-weep hole versions were due to patent infringements with another manufacturer and had nothing to do with the recall FYI.
    The calipers have laser etched production #s on them so to avoid confusion as to wether the brake system's recall had been performed, a punch mark was placed nearest the hydro lines entry point of the replacement MC's.
    All newer brake systems unaffected by recall had production #s after recall affected dates.
    The addition of the logo on the sides of the MC were added in the mid to second year off production. (For some say "vain" reasons but really so it could be seen from a side view of the brake MC... So maybe "they" are right??

Thanks for all the input and assistance!
    Jude