mtbr member

Magura MT6 vs Shimano XT

I want to replace the terrible Avid Elixir 5 on my Yeti Asr5, So I wanted to know if someone used this two brakes and what you think of them.

Thanks

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by xsalirx View Post
    I want to replace the terrible Avid Elixir 5 on my Yeti Asr5, So I wanted to know if someone used this two brakes and what you think of them.

Thanks
    both are good,.. I'd go with the magura's as set up, bleeding, hose cutting is all much easier. plus you get the matching rotor with the mag's where Shimano doesn't include a rotor.. and I believe you need their IceTech rotor for those? so that may add $50 a wheel to the price.
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-06-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i switched from elixir 5 to XT and still am using the avid rotors. no squeal I actually had to switch the front rotor because I apparently bent it so much the bike shop couldnt true it. Not sure I believe them, but I needed to ride..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i replaced my avids with xt (m785),still using the avid rotors. my assessment?....omfg!! these xt's are such an amazing improvement that i can't believe avid hasn't thrown in the towel.
    that said, i've never tried the magura's but you do not need to replace the rotors.
    all i did was unbolt the avids from the adapters and bolt on the xt's to the same adapters and spin the wheel while holding some 120 grit sandpaper to it.

so *%$%(*& happy to get rid of the noisy ass avids

gio
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    u dont have to use shimano's ice tech rotors for the xt brakes, any rotors will work. I would go for the shimano xt, as I installed it easily without any issues at all (have used over 1.5 years)

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    The MT6 has a "radial" master cylinder which help with improved braking feel or "modulation."
    They are very communicative and you always know where the tire adhesion point is while on the binders.
    Also, The contact point where you finger contacts the lever blades are fantastic, nice and broad.

The MC's can flip flop also and have bleed ports on both sides.

.... oh and the MC's themselves are carbon fibre, calipers are one piece beauties!
    Jude

Nor­wegr
    I'd take a look at the Mt4 instead, slightly beefier build, but it has external bite point and lever reach adjustment which the mt6 and mt8 does not have. I'd assume the latter is to save weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What about the Magura MTS? I sent a message to Magura asking about them, but haven't heard back. I see some Specialized bikes come stock with MTS, but not sure where they fit in as far as level of brake? Looking at Magura site it seems like MTS would fall between MT4 and MT6?

Jun 2004
    The MT S is a combination brake made for Specialized per their request.
    Aside from the obvious color differences, bronze caliper plug, bronze accents on the MC and special folded alloy lever blade, the "S" uses the nice MT6 one piece caliper with adjustable banjo fitting and the MT4 carbotecture master cylinder body. So weight wise, it slots nicely between the MT6 and the MT4.

It's nice!!
    Jude

Jun 2004
    Nice explanation danavsbelly!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    The MT6 has a "radial" master cylinder which help with improved braking feel or "modulation."
    They are very communicative and you always know where the tire adhesion point is while on the binders.
    Also, The contact point where you finger contacts the lever blades are fantastic, nice and broad.

The MC's can flip flop also and have bleed ports on both sides.

.... oh and the MC's themselves are carbon fibre, calipers are one piece beauties!
    Not sure I'm really sure what you mean about the radial design. I would like to know though.

Shimano's Servo Wave mechanism aggressively varies the lever's mechanical advantage to give ample pad clearance. This then gives it excellent modulation as well. Compared to Maguras that I've used, the bite point seems firmer, so this "modulation" perhaps requires less actual lever movement. It is still exceedingly easy to control. I reckon Shimano has better brake hose or something like that. In some brakes the difference in minimal though.
    Servo wave makes the lever have a "detented" feel in the pre-stroke. It might feel annoying at first but it's very easy to get used to when you're actually riding.

I really don't like the Magura lever design. I think it is terrible for one finger braking, but I can see how it is nice for two finger. The lever is slightly long for a one finger set-up with shifters, and the flat face of the lever with small radius corners causes my knuckle on my finger to sit right in the middle, putting pressure on the corners of the lever. With two fingers, however, it sits in the right place and feels good.

I brake with one finger. Always. Shimano wants you to do this with their very short levers, which aren't flat on the face, they're almost entirely curved for your finger.

This really is a personal thing though. I like my contact point fairly close to the bar so with that in mind a curved lever works better with my finger. YMMV.

It is nice that you can flip flop the brake levers, but doing that kind of thing is so rare. Swapping hoses is easy enough if you get brakes with the levers on the wrong side (with Shimano). You don't have to bleed or spill hardly any oil.

I absolutely do not agree with the flimsy plastic torx bleed plug on the Magura lever. It's a bit tricky to use since you can't stick it on the end of the torx wrench, and since it's plastic torx, you can damage the socket if the torx bit isn't very straight. Also, since you have to screw syringes into the lever and caliper, you must spill fluid when you bleed. If you can do it without any drips, you probably got some air in there (in the caliper at least).

The shimano bleed funnel looks funny but it's great because you don't have to spill when you use it. You can let gravity bleed you brake, but I prefer to stick a syringe on the bleed nipple and force fluid up into the funnel. Since the bleed nipple is a valve, you don't spill when connecting or disconnecting to it.

Magura bar clamp is annoying and not very durable. The Al torx nuts that clamp the half clamp are again easily damaged and awkward to use. Shimano has a hinged clamp with a stainless 4mm hex socket screw. Much nicer to use.

I also think the Ice Tech heatsink fins looks bad ass, and they clearly work. They get quite hot with even mild braking, and that heat would otherwise be on the rotor or still in the pads with any other system.

Keep that in mind!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Very nice post kanik. Nice to hear some of the finer details of the magura brakes.

I agree completely on the shimano levers. I love them so much. Maybe they match my hand size better than some, but they're perfect.

Only experience I have with the new magura's is seeing the specialized version on a bike in a shop. Didn't like the lever feel at all.

Some of the shops around here would look at you crooked if you said the word magura. But they all have pads and hoses for shimano brakes on hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I still like Magura because they use mineral oil instead of stupid glycol DOT fluid like most others. Every old DOT disc brake you ever see has tons of corrosion and missing paint from the fluid that inevitably leaks. And I'm pretty sure a good majority of bike shops that bleed your DOT brake are using some old fluid that someone probably left the cap off of for a while and is full of water.

With a mineral oil brake you can use freaking olive oil if you have to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanik View Post
    I still like Magura because they use mineral oil instead of stupid glycol DOT fluid like most others. Every old DOT disc brake you ever see has tons of corrosion and missing paint from the fluid that inevitably leaks. And I'm pretty sure a good majority of bike shops that bleed your DOT brake are using some old fluid that someone probably left the cap off of for a while and is full of water.

With a mineral oil brake you can use freaking olive oil if you have to.
    I'm pretty sure Shimano also uses mineral oil, but Avid is still on DOT fluid.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Shimano also uses mineral oil, but Avid is still on DOT fluid.
    ya, think you are right, and another reason I'd choose either over all others out there if I was to go back to hydro!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    Shimano does use Mineral Oil. I have three different sets of them, one about 5 years old and one brand new XT M785, and they all use mineral oil.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I switched to xt from my stock elixer 5. And whoa what a difference. Shimano all the way. The hopes are equally as nice. But they are also a bit heavier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, shimano uses mineral oil. Or olive oil if you want that extra virgin feel.

Who else uses oil besides Shimano and Magura?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Tektro and BrakeForceOne

mtbr member
    I test rode a 2013 Epic Expert last week with the MT6's and was very impressed with them. Very good power and modulation and true one-finger braking. My girlfriend has a Specialized Carve with SLX brakes, and they are the best brakes I've ever used. From what I understand, the SLX and XT are very similar in feel and power. Since I didn't do a back-to-back test, I can tell tell you which one is more powerful or "better", but, if I get the Epic, I'm going to sell the MT6's for XTR's. That's the game plan for now. I was considering a Hope M4/X2 combo but have been dissuaded by the many shifter fitting issues I hear of, as well as the slightly lesser power.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2