Too Much Fun

New question here. Magura MT6 vs MT8 differences?

What, if any mechanical and/or functional differences are there between the Magura MT8 and MT6's?

As far as I can tell they are the same exact brake, with the MT8 being more carbon bits.

Is that it, are they functionally the same, with same lever adjustments etc? It looks like it's just a matter of more carbon, but thought I'd double check with the collective mind.

I'm new to the Magura product line. Thanks!
    - -benja- -

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My understanding is the MT8 has carbon levers and the MT6 are alloy levers. Also, the MT6 matches my bike better

I'm sure there's more but that's all I know of...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    My understanding is the MT8 has carbon levers and the MT6 are alloy levers.
    That is the big difference between the two. Also the MT8 has aluminum fitting bolts while the MT6 runs steel. I think that's it but check this link out for a side by side comparison: Compare MAGURA products: MAGURA - The Passion People![]=94399.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I compared them with your link and it looks like lever material and hardware material(alloy vs steel).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    I compared them with your link and it looks like lever material and hardware material(alloy vs steel).
    That's all I was able to find as well. I'm not sure of what the mounting bolts are either. I run a pair of Marta SL Magnesiums and they came stock with titanium bolts. I'm not sure what the price difference between the two systems is but for a carbon lever and aluminum bolts I would also wonder if it is indeed worth it.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

MTBR Member
    Caliper and rotor bolts are supposed to be aluminum....though my MT8s came with steel rotor bolts(which I prefer anyways).

Probably not worth the extra money for the MT8s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Caliper and rotor bolts are supposed to be aluminum....though my MT8s came with steel rotor bolts(which I prefer anyways).
    Aluminum caliper and rotor bolts!? Really? Are you sure they aren't supposed to be titanium?
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

MTBR Member
    Well...I'm positive that I have aluminum caliper bolts, which came with my MT8s. I ditched them in favor of steel, so they are all yours if you want them.

And I'm pretty sure I have read about someone snapping the head off of a AL rotor bolt associated with MT8s.

If they included Ti bolts, I would have used them.

check this from bikerumor: First Impressions: Magura MT8 Carbon Disc Brakes - Bike Rumor....they got AL rotor bolts

mtbr member
    Well...I'm positive that I have aluminum caliper bolts, which came with my MT8s. I ditched them in favor of steel, so they are all yours if you want them.

And I'm pretty sure I have read about someone snapping the head off of a AL rotor bolt associated with MT8s.

If they included Ti bolts, I would have used them.
    Nah, I'm good. Thanks though. Aluminum has its uses but rotor and caliper bolts are not one of them.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Nah, I'm good. Thanks though. Aluminum has its uses but rotor and caliper bolts are not one of them.
    Based on your response, I didn't think you would take me up on that offer. I'm with you.

Too Much Fun

New question here. Thanks for the feedback... Follow up question!

Do the MT6's (and MT8's) come with rotors bundled in or must you purchase them separately?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Do the MT6's (and MT8's) come with rotors bundled in or must you purchase them separately?
    I think you've got to get them separately but on a positive note, they aren't too terribly expensive.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

MTBR Member
    Rotors and adapters are sold separately

Maromero
    Aluminum caliper and rotor bolts!? Really? Are you sure they aren't supposed to be titanium?
    That is what I thought also, but both are Torx Al, they are supposed to be a special (stronger?) alloy.
    I've been using the MT8īs with the Al caliper bolts provided since August without any trouble, I must say that I always use a torq tool any were installed by the Magura dealer in Mex.
    The rotor bolts are also Torx Al for the newer Storm SL, but since I already had the original version working with my Marta Mags they came with Ti Allen bolts. I would be not so eager to use Al bolts on rotors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rotors and adapters are sold separately
    i got sick of trying to resuscitate the expensive magura pads after contamination and threw in a pair of elixir pads for giggles and they work like a charm. I haven't found any affordable after market magura pads so until then the 6-15$ koolstop and discobrake elixirs are an option

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    i got sick of trying to resuscitate the expensive magura pads after contamination and threw in a pair of elixir pads for giggles and they work like a charm. I haven't found any affordable after market magura pads so until then the 6-15$ koolstop and discobrake elixirs are an option
    I contaminated my pads once and got them really hot to burn off the mineral oil. Once the smoke cleared, it was all gone, and they worked fine. Not sure if you've tried that or not but it worked for me.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I contaminated my pads once and got them really hot to burn off the mineral oil. Once the smoke cleared, it was all gone, and they worked fine. Not sure if you've tried that or not but it worked for me.
    my routine is alchahol and fine sand paper, i will give baking a shot some time. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is but the magura pads seem to get real grabby after not so much use and i'm having good luck with the cheapos although outright power is down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    my routine is alchahol and fine sand paper, i will give baking a shot some time.
    I tried alcohol and had no luck with it so someone recommended I torch the back-side of them but since I don't have a propane torch or the propane to run it, I put them on the heating element of an indoor grill until they quit smoking and have not had a problem since. Heck, pads are expensive and it would be a shame to have to throw them away.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595