Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Magura MT6 vs Formula R1

Considering Formula R1s or Magura MT6 brakes? Mostly XC/trail riding, no heavy duty DH usage.

Anyone have experience with either brand or both to make recommendations or share experience?

Currently have been running Avid Elixir CR's.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have Formula R1's. Great for XC racing because they are so light. Very reliable; I had practically no issues in 2 years of heavy use. Only negative thing are the discs which are way to fragile i.e. too easily bent. But you can just install sturdier (and heavier) ones.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

thin rotors?

Thanks for the formula feedbk! So you say the rotors are thin and easily damaged.... I assume thinner than typical rotors like Avid or Magura? What would cause the damage you mention?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I changed mine for XTR rotors which are the same width but much stronger. My Formula rotors weren't damaged but easily bent a bit, which caused the brake pads to slide on the rotor. It's also easily bent back again, but takes quite some adjusting to have it nice and round again. The rotor's bent for example when traveling with the bike and something pushes against it (almost after every air travel...) or in a fall where something hits against the rotor. Pro: it's really light. Con: If you like to have a robust rotor with as little problems as possible, change it. It also seems to be worn off by breaking quite quickly: mine was down to about half the width after 1.5 years of heavy use. This also happens to other rotors but not as quickly. Hope this helps with your choice!

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Rotors

Thanks for the info. Well, all things considered, I might go with the new Magura MT6's, since I've got Marta's on my current bike and have the related bleed kit, fluid, etc. The Formula's are pretty tho, maybe one day.

mtbr member
    The MT series are solid. Have had a play with the 6's and liked them very much. If you do go that route, I am sure you will be chuffed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have mt 8s that replaced the horrible xx. The nice thing about magura is the rotor replacement is 30$ rather than 60 for avid. For kicks i tried 203s front and rear while waiting for a new 180 and it was way too abrubt especially with the softer performance pads. Set up is ez and now with the 180 it is way easier to trail the rear brake. The front also may be overkill with a 203 so my plan is switch to the metalic endurance pads and see if that softens the hit and if not then perhaps use a 180 front. So far happy with the brakes

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    The front also may be overkill with a 203 so my plan is switch to the metalic endurance pads and see if that softens the hit and if not then perhaps use a 180 front. So far happy with the brakes
    Where did you find the pads?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Where did you find the pads?
    universalcycles

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    universalcycles
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula One's

I love my Formula brakes: The One's
    They are incredible at stopping with one finger and the modulation gives a lot of control.
    The 180 Formula rotor is a little thicker and very durable.
    Definitely the best brakes that I have ever used.
    Cheers,

Kane

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman View Post
    I love my Formula brakes: The One's
    They are incredible at stopping with one finger and the modulation gives a lot of control.
    The 180 Formula rotor is a little thicker and very durable.
    Definitely the best brakes that I have ever used.
    Cheers,

Kane
    I second the R1's, great stopping power but the R1's are known for their modulation.
    I have been using ashima 203 front and 180 rear rotors which are very light and pretty durable. Also they look sick!
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuey83 View Post
    I second the R1's, great stopping power but the R1's are known for their modulation.
    I have been using ashima 203 front and 180 rear rotors which are very light and pretty durable. Also they look sick!
    R1s and The Ones are two different brakes, FYI

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    R1s and The Ones are two different brakes
    Could you tell us more about their braking feeling ?

Does any one have some feed back on the Magura MT6 compare to the Formula Ones ?

mtbr member
    The MT6s and MT8s are essentially the same, performance-wise. Both powerful, with good modulation.

The R1s are very powerful. The set I played with were a bit more on/off, but that could have been down to the owner's personal setup.

They are different. Both very good. Go with what you want - you will not be disappointed either way.

mtbr member
    Ive had the MT6 brakes now for 2 1/2 moths I have 203 front and 185 rear, and my thoughts so far are:

Super easy to set up with great modulation with a nice ergonomic feel. They have nice power but do not have a sharp initial bite they feel more like a brake with ABS, so some of the feathering control needed with some brakes is not needed on these. I started with the Storm SL rotors front and rear but the 203 front just didnt work with the SL there was squealing constantly, so I replaced it with the regular storm. The noise has now dissapeared. On the negative side the aluminum bolts that come with the rotors shear off easily so i switched to steel. The plastic bleed port screws also shread at the head of the screw, so they need to be handled with care. Ive had one master cylinder fail and leak, and the other one the reach adjust has broken. Magura have been great though and taken care of all my problems.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm? Not sure you're endorsing the brakes, because those are some serious problems I would hope to avoid. Now are you pretty hard on your equipment- beyond just XC riding?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    On the negative side the aluminum bolts that come with the rotors shear off easily so i switched to steel. The plastic bleed port screws also shread at the head of the screw, so they need to be handled with care. Ive had one master cylinder fail and leak, and the other one the reach adjust has broken. Magura have been great though and taken care of all my problems.
    So, it was true that the Storm SL rotors are supplied with Al bolts.
    I have six weeks with the MT8's, but I only got the brakes,since I already had the SL rotors and mine had Ti bolts, there is no way I would use then with Al.
    I haven't had any problem with leaks or bolt shearing, only recentering the front pads once an it was simple. On the other hand I agree with you about power, modulation and minimal noise, me using 160/140 for XC on a Turner Flux (100mm), you must be riding more agressively since you use 203/185.

mtbr member
    The bolts that came with my storm sl rotors are steel.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by knl2stl View Post
    The bolts that came with my storm sl rotors are steel.
    Did you buy the brakes with rotors? or, just the rotors.
    Cause I think that only the rotors supplied with the brakes have the Al bolts.

mtbr member
    Just the rotors, this February. I am in the US, and usually Magura brakes sold here do not include rotors and adaptors. (I got the rotors for my Marta SLs.)