Twin Six METAL Team

Magura MT6/MT8 Recall...Have you gotten your brakes back?

Disregard. I no sooner hit post, and got a shipment notification. I guess I need to be more patient.
    Last edited by chrisgardner73; 03-20-2013 at 02:13 PM.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

How long did it take? What exactly did they do - give whole new brakesets or replace just the calipers? New pads or no pads?
    I just sent mine in yesterday.
    M

Twin Six METAL Team
    All in all, I will have been without my brakes for 21 days for shipping both ways and the actual repair. Magura will replace your lever/master cylinder, as well as install new pads. The pads are a peace offering for you having to deal with the inconvenience of being without your brakes. Pretty generous honestly, considering how much the recall itself is probably costing them. My brakes will be back in my hands on Monday!

mtbr member
    I opted to have the new levers sent to me so I can swap them out overnight and not miss a ride. (You can also have a local shop do this for you if you feel you don't have the skills to do it yourself).

mtbr member
    I didn't see the option to have the parts sent directly to me. My LBS hasn't heard anything from Magura in two weeks since I contacted them.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    All in all, I will have been without my brakes for 21 days for shipping both ways and the actual repair. Magura will replace your lever/master cylinder, as well as install new pads. The pads are a peace offering for you having to deal with the inconvenience of being without your brakes. Pretty generous honestly, considering how much the recall itself is probably costing them. My brakes will be back in my hands on Monday!
    Agree - getting new pads makes it a fair deal. Also curious to experience their bleed.
    M

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I called Magura on 3/19/2013 to see why they had not shipped. They had not been given authorization to ship yet from whoever authorizes it. They expected it to be by the end of the week. But I received my tracking number on 3/21/2013 and they were en route already. We should have them soon. Mine will be here Monday 3/25/2013.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I didn't see the option to have the parts sent directly to me. My LBS hasn't heard anything from Magura in two weeks since I contacted them.
    Call Kent at Magura USA, give him the case number and your serial numbers. he will ship to you or your shop.

mtbr member
    Received my replacement levers yesterday, will try to get them swapped today.
    Last edited by drbelleville; 03-24-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Twin Six METAL Team
    My brakes arrived yesterday, bled and with new pads! I'm hoping to finally get my new MTB back on the trail today!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For those that went through Magura, when you got your brakes back were they bled to your liking or did you have to re-bleed them?

Twin Six METAL Team
    Mine seem fine, but the true test will be when I get the bike out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Was it a simple break lever with piston, or was it the whole brake lever assembly?

Side note...I added the Magura part for combining my brake levers with XO shifters. They are very nice but pricey. I think they are called Shiftmix. Direct from Magura USA online for $59.

Twin Six METAL Team
    They replace the entire brake lever/master cylinder assembly, then re-bleed the whole system for you...and send fresh pads. I got my first ride in on my "newly fixed" brakes yesterday, and they are better at bleeding their brakes than I am.

mtbr member
    Was it a simple break lever with piston, or was it the whole brake lever assembly?

Side note...I added the Magura part for combining my brake levers with XO shifters. They are very nice but pricey. I think they are called Shiftmix. Direct from Magura USA online for $59.
    I received the Replacement parts, and those were complete Master Cylinder Assembly including levers. I believe if you send yours in as a complete set, you get a complete bled system back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    I received the Replacement parts, and those were complete Master Cylinder Assembly including levers. I believe if you send yours in as a complete set, you get a complete bled system back.
    Precisely what I got with my 2 sets.

mtbr member
    Success. The new levers installed by the shop. The brakes will finally hold a bleed for the first time ever. Fingers crossed, these could be solid brakes now. They installed new pads BTW. I read here they came with the parts from Magura, but the shop told me they (the shop) threw the pads in for free. Shady.

mtbr member
    Success. The new levers installed by the shop. The brakes will finally hold a bleed for the first time ever. Fingers crossed, these could be solid brakes now. They installed new pads BTW. I read here they came with the parts from Magura, but the shop told me they (the shop) threw the pads in for free. Shady.

LOL,

The lever kit came with new levers, a bleed kit with "magura blood" and new pads, as such I think you LBS is full of hot air. Maybe they could give you the bleed kit that came with it too, or "throw it in for free" as they said.

Happy Trails

Wow, I have not heard about a recall. I have 2013 MT8 on my Scalpel. What's the story?
    (Edit)
    Ok; never mind. I read about the recall. Holy cow! Do you guys remember the posts in this forum late last year from the guy who lost all his braking stopping power in cold weather and crashed his bike? He got accused of trolling .... And now this :

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/03/05/...ic-disc-brakes.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 03-29-2013 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got the kit for my M8's and put it on and they work great. Sent the old ones back today. Thanks Magura

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i Wonder i bought the 2013 Epic carbon expert White red and it came with Magura mt6 didnīt think more of it as i rode it i felt more and more something was off with the breaks, now tonight i searched and noticed my breaks has the serial nr that needs to be replaced.
    Why didnīt Specialized get the notification and thus the dealers could get replacement breaks.
    Now i have to be god knows how long without breaks on my bike, on the upside the general agent for Magura is at my home town in Sweden.
    But they might not have brakes at their disposal thus leaving me bike less.
    iīll try to make a dela with my LBS of getting XT/XTR brakes instead.
    donīt know how much more expensive XT/XTR is vs Magura MT6?

mtbr member
    I had a set of MT8 brakes that were affected under the recall. I sent them to Magura USA to have the levers replaced. I didn't use the brakes until now, because I decided to save them for my new XC race bike, which I finished building yesterday. I couldn't ride it though, because I noticed the front brake is leaking at the RHR hose connection. I first saw a few drops of some kind of oilish fluid on the floor. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was, because the fluid was colorless, not blue as Magura Royal Blood should be. I can only hope it's mineral oil what they put inside. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It cost me over 50 dollars to mail the brakes to Magura USA, only to receive a leaking brake back. I'm very unhappy with their service.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    It took me a while to figure out what the problem was, because the fluid was colorless, not blue as Magura Royal Blood should be. I can only hope it's mineral oil what they put inside. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It cost me over 50 dollars to mail the brakes to Magura USA, only to receive a leaking brake back. I'm very unhappy with their service.
    Same thing happened to me, only mine was leaking from the red reservoir cap that is also the handlebar clamp. Are you sure the leak is in the hose connection? If so, the remedy should be simple - shorten the hose and re-connect it with a new barb/olive. If yours is leaking from the clamp, you will have to send it back for another master cylinder replacement.

mtbr member
    Mine are leaking from the caliper-hose connection. I hope it's just a damaged o-ring, but before I try replacing it (if I can get one here), I'd like to hear back from Magura USA with an explantion on why the fluid isn't blue. It wasn't Magura Royal Blood what they used. And whoever "fixed" my brakes should have checked they weren't leaking before shipping them back to me.