mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Magura MT2 vs Shimano XT br-m785

Hesitate, what to buy?
    Magura with 160 storm rotor weighs 345 grams per side, has the new lever material Carbotecture, but MT2 - is the most simple model among new magura brakes. Shimano has rating on mtbr 4.71, but the weight is under 300 grams without the rotor. Magura goes with storm rotors, for shimano I think to use alligator 160 rotors. Prices are almost the same. My bike is epic '08, ride for myrself, several times during the summer I take part in amateur competitions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have had three sets of Magura Brakes, curently the MT8, I can say the New Storm rotors are awesome, second to none, a very high quality rotor, also had used the old style Magura wave rotor, I would stay away from those...the Magura wave rotor was actually crap, but they had since resloved the issue with the new Storm rotors, just don't buy any Magura wave rotors thinking its a good deal or sets of Magura brakes with wave rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaldown View Post
    ...the old style Magura wave rotor, I would stay away from those...the Magura wave rotor was actually crap, but they had since resloved the issue with the new Storm rotors, just don't buy any Magura wave rotors thinking its a good deal or sets of Magura brakes with wave rotors.
    I believe there was no problem with wavy SL rotors until 2nd generation of Martas started using them. I rode and raced with 1st gen. Marta SLs with wavy SL rotors for almost 5 years with no issues, and know other riders/racers that did too, no problems. It was also one of the lightest 1pc. stock rotors for some time there.
    I believe the issues of pulsing/vibrations (I'm assuming that's what you're refering too, personally I don't recall reading about any other complaints) that riders were reporting with wavy SLs were tied to the fact that 2nd gen. Martas have different pads, which grabbed more of the rotor spoke, below the braking track, which caused that sensation.