mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Magura MT Line not up to Snuff as the older Marta/Louise line??

I have been on again off again with brakes on my bike. I started with some 2008's Marta's loved em, but hated bleeding them. I put on a pair of Formula RX's and they seem nice, but kinda feel more on/off and I like the Magura feel (and German made things in general). So I have been looking at a lot of forums and there have been many positives about the newer MT line of Magura brakes and an equal amount of negatives. The first is power and the light weight, but to what I can gather the new brakes are generally plastic and not metal, minus the calipers, levers and clamp. They call it Carbotecture, but really its just plastic from what I can gather. Anyway one of the main drawbacks is the top EBT bleed port made of plastic, some say its an incredibly bad design an strips easily. Others have mentioned that the overall design of the MT line is poor. The older Magura lines have been rock solid (and made of metal). Any one else have an opinion. I realize some also love their MT line of brakes while others have sold them shortly thereafter.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I like my MT8's. I have them on a new bike; which only has 5 rides on it but they seem so delicate that I worry about them.

I do like the performance of them but I don't like any part that makes me nervous as any good part is a part you never think about. I had my LBS order some extra "small parts" just in case something brakes easily.

We will see how they hold up but I wish I had of just went with XTR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I love my mt8s even after i disregarded the ebt torque spec in the manual and slightly stripped an ebt plug. Beyond the plastic ebt plug i dont see the fragility. When it comes down to it they are still incredibly ez to set up and service, dead reliable, light weight and have more power than i know what to do with.

MTBR Member
    The first time I crashed and slammed my rear MT8 into a rock, I no longer worried about their durability. The lever took some damage, but the brake continues to work perfectly.

I agree that the plastic bleed plug is a poor choice, but the MT series is on par with or better than every other aspect of the Marta's. I owned Marta SL's for a few years -- they were always reliable, easy to service, and powerful. The one big difference between the Marta and MT is the feel of the brake. The MT has much better modulation, it's not even close. I would constantly find myself locking up the Marta's where the MT's are much easier to control the power. I wouldn't want any part of Marta's solely based on that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Magura MT Line not up to Snuff as the older Marta/Louise line??

I too have the MT8, and had Marta SL Mags before. Once bled correctly, I really like the MT. Super modulation, and plenty powerful with the large rotors, even for extended downhill. I can get them to fade a bit, but that's really working them hard, due in part to my 225 lb mass.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Still a lot to think about. Can anyone confirm that the MT series is lower profile than Formula brake levers? The upper lever/cylinders are soo big on my RX's compared to my old Martas.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Magura MT Line not up to Snuff as the older Marta/Louise line??

I have some mts and I love them.