mtbr member

Magura MT-8 vs Formula R1

Building up a weight weenie carbon 29'er hardtail and looking for recommendations between these two brakes. I have no experience with Magura but I have spent some time on Formulas The Ones. Thoughts? Magura MT-8 vs Formula R1-formula-r1.jpgMagura MT-8 vs Formula R1-magura-mt-8.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love my Formula rx brakes but like you have no experience with magura's.

Being all else equal and you building a weight weenie I would pick the lightest one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have not used the Formula, but I do have MT8. Once properly bled, these brakes have the best feel of any brake I have used. Super modulation. I have also heard good things about the Formula's.

singletrack bound
    I ride the R1's on my highball and they work great. Sometimes they can be a little finicky with rotor/caliper rub and alignment but once dialed the are great stoppers!
    On my steel HT I ride the Magura Marta SL's and they are a sweet braking system. Pretty much set and forget type. I just went to a 180 rotor on the front. Great Modulation and nice predictable stopping power. I would rate them right up there with the R1's in over all performance. Can't speak for the MT8's though but Magura does a good job. Count your grams........
    Tone~
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member

I have used R1 and R1 Race on several bikes and love them. Great power, super light, and I love the lever. Had MT 8 and didn't care for the lever shape. Power was pretty good. Good modulation. I did run larger rotors on the MT8 than the R1. I got away with 160/140 on the R1.

I would get R1 again in a heartbeat.

Currently using Hope stealth race X2 on my fat bike and XC bike and am impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBR Member
    R1's -- more powerful, very on/off feel, tight pad clearance(so can be finicky like previous poster mentioned).

MT8 -- way better modulation, stupid light(caliper and lever with full length housing = 198g), great pad clearance.

The Hopes are worth looking at too, but they won't be very close in weight to the other two options. Hands down, the best brakes I've ever used though.

Happy Trails
    I have two sets of Magura MT-8's, and after 600 miles on one set and 1000 on the other I am very satisfied with them. I am a bigger rider 175 pounds, and ride 1800mm / 160mm but can especially recommend them for being robust in the heat. I ride in Arizona all summer long and have not experienced any heat-related fading issues. I did experience one weeping/leaking issue due to a crack in the master cylinder (under the handlebar clamping location), but brake master cylinder did NOT lose pressure and brake remained fully functional and Magura stood behind product and warrantied immediately with zero hassle. As above, they modulate well ( without making any heinous noises) and stop on a dime.

Dissolved member
    IMHO the only thing the MT8s have is the low weight. They are mediocre in all other areas. For me, the old Magura Luise had similar modulation but better stopping power. Shimano brakes are all in a different league if you want effortless one-finger stopping. I have problems with howling and vibrations of the MT8s, too - I suspect poor manufacturing tolerances of the calipers and excessive pad movement. If a friend asked me whether to get MT8s, I would advise him to look at other brands first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    IMHO the only thing the MT8s have is the low weight. They are mediocre in all other areas. For me, the old Magura Luise had similar modulation but better stopping power. Shimano brakes are all in a different league if you want effortless one-finger stopping. I have problems with howling and vibrations of the MT8s, too - I suspect poor manufacturing tolerances of the calipers and excessive pad movement. If a friend asked me whether to get MT8s, I would advise him to look at other brands first.
    I fully agree. I have the exact same experience and I am on the brink of throwing my MT8s in the garbage bin. Looking at the R1 currently, but yet to move on this.

mtbr member
    I have a R1/X on one bike and a T1s on another which I believe have a caliper design similar to The One. I have no experience with Magura.

R1 vs T1 (The One)
    ================
    1. Similar stopping power
    2. R1 is more of on/off feel, less modulation
    3. The tool-free level reach adjustment on the R1 is too discrete, whereas the screw type adjustment on the T1 allows better fine tuning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Can please someone tell me what kind of bolt (size/length) goes onto formula R1 lever clamps? Is it M5 or M4?

mtbr member
    I have an RX and an MT8. RX are by far the most stopping power. probably as good as XTs. My MT8's have great feel and modulation. I have not gotten them bled right but one thing i am down on with the MT's are the aluminum bolts and some of the bleed screws suck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've got 2 bikes; an Epic with MT8 & Mojo HD with XTR trail brakes.
    The MT8 is perfect for the Epic, & worked great! But my main bike I love riding is my Mojo HD, so I figured I'd try the MT8 on the Mojo to lose some weight. I ride much more aggressive trails on the HD & at a much faster speed. Unfortunately these brakes don't come close to the performance of the XTR trail brakes. The pads wore quicker & simple didn't have the raw power of the XTR trail brakes. I had to constantly pull harder on the levers & for whatever reason the lever pull feels vague to me. I switched them back after about 2 weeks of riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I have had both, If I were to choose between the 2 I would go with the MT8's. Have had three sets of the R1's and really wanted to like them, but each set always got piston creep. Never had a brake where you had to adjust the alignment every 4 or 5 rides. For the weight the MT8's are solid and perform at the same level as the R1's without the adjusting all the time.

But there are much better brakes out there. Shimano XT or XTR blow away either of those brakes in performance and set up AND bleeding. HOPE's also are a better performing brake and can argued better then Shimano is some cases. Albeit not as light as the other brakes though.

mtbr member
    I was never happy with my MT8's, they just didn't have the power I needed/wanted. I had them bled several times and never did get them where I needed them so I sold them.

They were light and looked cool though....I went back to my XTR's and they are well worth the weight penalty.