Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the follow up Dan. I've owned Marta SLs and have been pleased with their performance and Magura's support.

I'm in Canada, and do some cold weather riding, so wanted to confirm the outcome with the MT-8s.

Appreciate your reply.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I had issues initially with getting them bled correctly, but now I am totally happy with the MT8. The best modulation I have felt. I recently installed a 203/180 combo from 180/160, and I am even happier. I weigh 220 lbs and wanted even more stopping power, and I got it.
    trmn8er, just wondering what issues did you have bleeding the brakes and how was it resolved? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I had the exact same issue yesterday while riding in single digit temps. Both levers went all the way to the bars. I sent jude an email yesterday and will re bleed and ride them until I hear back from jude or magura. Hopefully that is soon.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Kuykendallc, I have not received your email yet. Did you send it to jude@magurausa.com?

Please do.

First, how much pad material is left? Are you using Magura rotors?

Please reply to my email address.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rideronthestorm View Post
    trmn8er, just wondering what issues did you have bleeding the brakes and how was it resolved? Thanks.
    When installed by a certain dealer initially, there was WAY too much lever travel. I tried to bleed them myself also, and was not getting good lever feel. I was recommended to contact a local guy here in So-Cal whom bled them and used a few of the known tricks to get less travel before getting contact, and since this bleed, I have no more issues.

I usually do most of my own service, and I am learning quite a bit, but as you know, there are little tricks those with more experience know, and these brakes feel amazing. I had Marta SL Mags too, and these MT8's have better modulation to me. More control. Probably the best compliment I can give them is I don't think about my brakes while riding. They are that good. Plus they are stupid light, and look killer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    Kuykendallc, I have not received your email yet. Did you send it to jude@magurausa.com?

Please do.

First, how much pad material is left? Are you using Magura rotors?

Please reply to my email address.
    I sent it to that email and I just sent it again with the answers to your additional questions.

mtbr member
    I have MT6 brakes and on last winter every time when temp dropped below -15C/5F for longer time, I had to bleed my brakes after ~20h riding because levers hit the bar... After this last winters cold season I have had no need for bleeding. Lets see what happens during this winter.
    Luckily my brakes did not commit sudden suicide, so I did not have any no-brakes-at-all situations.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    redbluecai

Its very hard to diagnose from afar as you can imagine so canotryss and I have emailed back and forth and he is sending his brakes in for inspection. I started by asking him a few basic questions,
    how much pad material is left, what rotors he was using, were the brakes bled after shortening the lines or installing, riding conditions etc.

Typically the cold can relocate air that has been trapped inside the system for some time that has gone unnoticed, just like heat. In this case of cold however, the air becomes dense and therefore smaller and possibly enabling it to jiggle or move from where it was stuck and causing the system to respond differently (just like heated air in the system.)

Then of course the problem could have originated from production or production parts so until I have them in my hands for a closer inspection, its always hard to speculate.
    Jude

mtbr member
    I wanted to add that jude and magura have been extremely helpful in helping me diagnose my problem and are replacing my brakes. Just as the person before, it was determined that mine were early an early production model. I will be using magura products in the future because of how well they work and if something does happen they stand behind their products with top notch customer service.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post

Good thing nobody accused the OP of being crazy :-)

FWIW there was a thread last month about the recall:

Magura recalls MT6 and MT8 disc brakes

Good news is several people already have theirs "fixed" just in time for all the cold weather riding of spring!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2