Never mind.............

New question here. Magura MT-6 vs Hope M4 Evo/X-2 Evo for an XC build

I've heard good things about both and am unsure which would be better for the bike I'm building..These would be going on a Turner Flux with 180/160 rotors, ridden XC & trail in New England, so I don't anticipate any super long descents like in the Rockies...I weigh 200# geared up. I'm coming from Formula K-24's which I've always liked, but parts for them are now getting scarce..Any pluses or minuses I should know about either choice?
    "Staring at the world from my own little Idaho..."

Never mind.............
    Just wanted to add that I open to suggestions of other brands also. My main disc experience has been Formula K-18/24's and Hope Mono Mini's from the turn of the century I'm not really up to par about the "latest and greatest"...Know nothing about the newer Formulas or about Shimano stuff...other than what I've searched and read here...What are the good XC/light AM brakes out there and what ones should I avoid like the plague?

mtbr member
    I am personally a huge fan of Hopes - completely adjustable and rebuildable if needed. And their tech support is in a league of its own.

My vote is for the M4/X2 combo. Or even have a look at the new V4. Some very good reviews of them coming through (there is a thread on here somewhere - or PM mazspeed).

Never mind.............
    Thanks..I like Hopes,too..Always heard good things about Maguras,especially the Marta SL's...that is why I was wondering about the MT-6's. I could go with V-2's and really have plenty of brakes! I guess my follow-up question would be...Race or Tech levers? Is there much difference in power? Techs for sure if I go with either V-2's or V-4's..

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    The MT6 series brakes are a great consideration and some things to note.
    Super lite weight at 310 g. including everything, rotor, hardware, bled and ready to ride.
    Rotor is 2mm thick for heat stability, radial master cylinder design for excellent modulation and feel, the MC is carbon fibre, pretty sexy really and the caliper is one piece!
    Also, mineral oil is a big plus due to its durability, especially in humid environments.

Your other considerations Hope and Shimano make excellent stuff also.

Have fun shopping!
    Last edited by judemonica; 01-29-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jude

Never mind.............
    Thanks,Jude....If you had to choose between the MT-6 and a set of new Marta SL's which would be the better choice for my type of riding (XC/Trail) ? I can pick up a nice set of Marta's that I believe are 2010/2011's...just not sure if the newer design is better or not...Whichever I pick, customer service is important...JBR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn2003 View Post
    Thanks..I like Hopes,too..Always heard good things about Maguras,especially the Marta SL's...that is why I was wondering about the MT-6's. I could go with V-2's and really have plenty of brakes! I guess my follow-up question would be...Race or Tech levers? Is there much difference in power? Techs for sure if I go with either V-2's or V-4's..
    If it were me and I was considering Hope, I would be looking at the MT-4s instead. They are the ones with all of the adjustment knobs.

As for Tech vs Race, I was in the same position recently, so started this thread. FWIW, decided to stick with the Tech levers.

Never mind.............
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    If it were me and I was considering Hope, I would be looking at the MT-4s instead. They are the ones with all of the adjustment knobs.

As for Tech vs Race, I was in the same position recently, so started this thread. FWIW, decided to stick with the Tech levers.
    Any particular reason for sticking with the Tech levers over the Race? Right now, I'm leaning toward Tech EVO m-4/X-2's...only because I could someday upgrade to V-2's...I like the look of the Race levers better,but the Techs seem more practical. I did look at the MT-4..nice brakes,but I doubt that I'd use the adjustments much, after I set up the levers..it was the same on my Formulas..once I set them to how I liked the feel, I don't think I ever changed them Thanks for the link to that thread...I was looking for that one..

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    JBR
    Well that is a good question because the Martas are legendary. They are light, powerful and also a radial design MC with a one piece caliper also.
    The MTs have much more feel and modulation and we did that because the Martas received some criticism for being too powerful at times, (I didn't think so) and for not having enough lever blade adjustability.

So the MT's have a lot of lever blade adjustability, more modulation and a little less power.
    Other pluses for the MT are top loading brake pads, universal throughout the line brake pad profile, pivoting banjo fitting at the caliper and the MC has a much easier bleed port that allow the fluid to flow much easier while bleeding than the Martas. The MC's are not side specific so you can just flip the MC if you have someone wanting to ride Moto or Euro style.

I don't know if that helps you much but its information to help make your decision.

Thanks for considering!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn2003 View Post
    Any particular reason for sticking with the Tech levers over the Race? Right now, I'm leaning toward Tech EVO m-4/X-2's...only because I could someday upgrade to V-2's...I like the look of the Race levers better,but the Techs seem more practical. I did look at the MT-4..nice brakes,but I doubt that I'd use the adjustments much, after I set up the levers..it was the same on my Formulas..once I set them to how I liked the feel, I don't think I ever changed them Thanks for the link to that thread...I was looking for that one..
    I have no doubt that the Race lever is nice (being Hope probably very nice), but I have a set of Techs already (M4/X2) and really like the complete adjustability, flip-flop-iness and look of the levers. I use the adjustability quite a bit as the pads wear down to keep them just right (possibly more in my head than anything else!) and also just the look of the industrial Tech levers.

Maybe if someone remotely near me actually had a set of Race levers I could touch, then maybe I would have gone the other way. I guess there was an element of sticking to what I know a little bit too. But the Tech levers are fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just did my first 8 mile XC shake-down run yesterday on my new Fuel EX 9.9 that I built up with MT6 brakes. I must say that I absolutely LOVE my MT6 brakes. They are incredibly easy to bleed and have a phenomenal amount of modulation. After riding various Avid Elixers, XX, and Shimano brakes, I finally have a set of hydraulic brakes that perform like I think hydraulic brakes should! I can't say enough positive things about them!

FWIW, I have no association with Magura, I'm just super stoked about my new brakes.

-RW

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've just bought a 2013 Specialized Epic and the first thing I did when I got it home was to take off the Magura MTS brakes and replace them with a set of Hope M4/X2's with floating rotors.
    The Magura's on the demo bike looked cheap and were uncomfortable, the complete opposite of the Hope's. The Magura's worked well enough, plenty of modulation and power but I just didn't like them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    I've just bought a 2013 Specialized Epic and the first thing I did when I got it home was to take off !
    first thing i did after the lovely avid xx failed on my stumpy was replace with mt8. Nice brakes, ez to setup, no issues