mtbr member

Magura Marta's. Two problems.

One old problem, and one new.

I have had my Marta's since late 2003, and they have been brilliant. However the front brake has always been a bit more spongey than the rear. On a few occasions I have had my LBS re-bleed and for a month or so they are perfect. Then they slowly become spongey again. The brake firms up after being pumped up or a long downhill. Next morning soft lever again. I have tried re-bleeding them myself, but get a similar result. The best solution is to pump them up so they are hard, then rubber-band the lever to the bar overnight. Firm for the next days ride. Is this a case of not bleeding the brakes properly? Or are they leaking?

New problem is with the rears. They have been causing no trouble since fitted, but now the outer pad is dragging on the rotor. I push the caliper all the way back in, and it drags again once applied.

Thank you in advance for replies. I have done a search on here but it's always nice to hve fresh input (surely what a forum is for too) cheers

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    The rear sounds like a sticky piston, try to stick it out a bit by holding the other, while pushing the lever a bit (don't do it too hard.. just a bit), then clean and lube the piston with mineral oil (remember to remove the pads). Remember to push both pistons back all the way afterwards.

On the front one, it could be that a seal is letting a little bit of air in, that's why it disappears with a bleed, but returns... Magura currently has a 5 year leak proof warranty... maybe your front could qualify under that
    Last edited by crisillo; 03-01-2007 at 04:04 PM.

"El Whatever"
    What Cris said... Contact the Magura folks and they may replace your lever assembly. It may be a leaking master cylinder.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. God I love this place. Always good advise.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by amaurosis fugax
    Thanks guys. God I love this place. Always good advise.

Glad to help! Keep us posted on the solution

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My experience

Hey Guys,

I have had the same issue with my brakes. Levers come back to the bar - I compress the pistons - pump the brakes back up and i'm good for the day.I have found that this issue is related to the shim set up. If you don't get the rotor spacing perfectly centered between the pads, the pads will wear more on one side than the other. The brakes will work fine when they are new, but as soon as the pads get some wear this issue will rear its ugly head. This happens more in the front with calipers mounted on Fox forks that have not been faced. The temporary solution is to carefully shim the calipers to be centered on the rotors. My brakes have been fine for a few weeks now. I'm sure the problem will come back as the un-even pads wear some more. The best solution is to face the caliper mounts, get new pads, rotors, and very carefull shimming.