mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Magura Martas, opinions?

Hey, I have a set of 2004 Hayes HFX 9 hydros on my hollowpoint expert, which I would like to replace. I read in a magazine, and maguras site, that the magura martas are 40 grams LIGHTER then an XT V-brake? If this is true, Im going to get rid of my hayes to shed some weight, also, the magura marta SL is about 10 grams lighter then the reg magura martas, any performance difference? How do these brakes compare to my HFX 9's? I presume alot better, but just want some opinions.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You will save around 160 to 170 grams if you make the swap to the Marta. IMO, the Marta SL's are not worth the diff in price (and I'm a huge fan of carbon). Besides, if you broke the SL carbon lever in a fall, plan on $bending$over$. The Hayes Plus is also VERY nice, I especially like their levers...but they will be heavier than the plain Marta. The Hayes Plus weigh about the same as the Hope Mini Mono.

I too have been debating the Marta, Mini-Mono & Hayes Plus swap...but I'm coming from a light V-brake setup so I'll be adding weight no matter what I do

I say base your decision on the company (service).

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'd owed Hayes and Magura's...I'll take Hayes!

Quote Originally Posted by Domdil
    Hey, I have a set of 2004 Hayes HFX 9 hydros on my hollowpoint expert, which I would like to replace. I read in a magazine, and maguras site, that the magura martas are 40 grams LIGHTER then an XT V-brake? If this is true, Im going to get rid of my hayes to shed some weight, also, the magura marta SL is about 10 grams lighter then the reg magura martas, any performance difference? How do these brakes compare to my HFX 9's? I presume alot better, but just want some opinions.
    Thanks
    However, the Hayes are heavier. I just like the rock solid feeling of the Hayes. The Magura's were a pain in the tail with those shims. However, I admit, the Magura's did modulate better then the Hayes with sintered pads. I would keep what you are riding.

One benefit, besides weight, Magura has is great customer service. Excellent.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, im going to be buying a set, how do I know if the hose will be long enough? or do they give you ample hose and you have to get a shop to cut,bleed and install?
    Thanks

simply me
    how do I know if the hose will be long enough?
    It will be... unless you run a 9 inch fork on an XXXL frame.

or do they give you ample hose
    yes, usually a bit long.

you have to get a shop to cut,bleed and install?
    No! do it yourself...